November!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

November!

Post by Rowan »

Hi :wave

Still reading Can't Look Away by Carola Lovering. I haven't had much time for reading in the last few days.
Blush
TH Master

Re: November!

Post by Blush »

I finished The Two Lives of Lydia Bird, it was cute but not earth shattering.

Now I have Ghosted by Rosie Walsh.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Glass Hotel. Her writing is as good as always, but the plot was less than exciting.

Then I started The Love Hypothesis because of all the hype, but I wasn't feeling it. I'm not much of a rom com reader, but sometimes I enjoy them. This one seemed so painfully predictable. Anyone read it? I've read... 25 pages or so.

Then I started The Collective by ... Alison Gaylin? So far she has my attention.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I liked Can't Look Away - 3.5 stars.

I read November 9 by Colleen Hoover which was entertaining but not amazing. I also read Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro which I really liked - it was really well written and went between 3 or 4 different time periods and 4 POV which honestly seems like a lot when I write it but it was very well done - 4 stars!!

Not sure what's next....I should tackle some of my ARCs...I have some really great ones waiting for me.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, do you have to post a review of those ARCs on goodreads? And how do you get them?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

This particular ARC I got via email from the publisher. I think she's sent me stuff in the past so I'm on her list.

I started getting them by signing up at Netgalley. I don't have a blog where I review but I list my instagram. I think you can also list Goodreads. You have to keep your % of ARCs reviewed/ARCs received above 80%. Mine is at 70% and I still get a few. Also if you're on Netgalley's email list sometimes they will send out a note...offering a book for the next 100 people to request or whatever. It's fun but it is easy to go crazy on requests.

I post my reviews on Netgalley. I generally don't post them elsewhere but I think they want you to.

I have waiting for me:

The Ferryman - Justin Cronin
The Last Party - Clare Mackintosh
The Soulmate - Sally Hepworth
The Villa - Rachel Hawkins

These are all books from authors I've read and liked in the past.

I just checked...not in South America. :( :sadpanda
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think I'd looked into it before and realized I didn't qualify, but I'd forgotten. That's kinda silly, isn't it? if I'm reading and reviewing in English, what does it matter where I am physically? Anyway, thanks!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Goodreads does ARCs too - maybe submit for a few of those to try? But definitely agree - it shouldn't matter but I wonder if there's some weird legal/copyright thing.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Ghosted, I really liked it.

Now I have Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson. The premise is bizarre but so far I like it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Corrections in Ink by Keri Blakinger -- a memoir of an ice skater-Ivy league student-heroin addict. It was good - very well written. 3.5 stars

I also read Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson which I probably wouldn't have picked up except it's our virtual book club pick for Dec. I really liked it - family drama. 4 stars.

I'm halfway through The Long Weekend by Gilly McMillan which I'm liking but there are no chapters. I hate that!! I don't like stopping in the middle but when there's no chapter breaks it's all middle. :(
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I hate when there are no chapters, Ro. Or when they're insanely long, like 50 pages. Give me something I can work with!

I finished The Collective. Loved it. Then I read another one by her, If I Die Tonight, also loved it. Both page turners, imo.

Now I'm reading Fractured by Catherine Mckenzie. Like it so far.

I tried to read Beach Read but couldn't get into it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Nothing to See Here was ok. Weird, but the writing was good.

Then I read The Boyfriend by Michelle... something. Not that great. But a quick read.

Now I have a fluff romance called For Butter or Worse by Erin La Rosa.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Fractured, was not impressed. I really liked the beginning, but then it just... fizzled out. Ended up finding it kind of boring and anticlimactic.

Then I started a period romance by Tessa Dare.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Code Name Verity, I don't remember if I already reported that. It was just OK in my books.

Now I started The Stand by Stephen King so that's gonna take me a while. :lol
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished For Butter or Worse; ok but formulaic.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Last week I read a Tessa Dare, don't remember the name. The beginning was funny, but then it just got a bit silly. Plus there were so many sex scenes it got a bit boring. I mean, I enjoy a sex scene here and there, but this book had too many! I'm ok with the Bridgerton series: one or two scenes in a 320-page book. That's enough. This book had like 6 or 7 scenes in 250 pages. It felt like filler. She is SUCH a beloved romance author though, I'll probably give her another chance.

Then I started a couple of others, but haven't committed to anything yet.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished For Butter or Worse; ok but formulaic.
I read this as "Butter Whore". LOL

That is all.