December!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December!

Post by Rowan »

:cute December - my birthday month :cute

I got new glasses last week and my reading has definitely suffered as I adjust to them.

I'm currently reading We Are the Light which is a wee bit weird but decent. I'd like to finish it soon.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: December!

Post by Sílvia »

Is it the 13th, Ro?

Last week I read Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner. It was ok. Ish. Interesting premise, but the ending was stupid. Plus the female detective is endlessly talking about how she's always hungry (and can eat like a horse and not gain weight) and horny. This was written by a woman? :headscratch

Now I'm reading The Dreamers by ... Karen Thompson Walker. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It has a Station Eleven vibe to it, both in style and in theme.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read Jane is Trying by Isy Suttie, which started out fairly strong and then got weird.

Now I have A Million Reasons Why by Jessica Strawser.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yep, the 13th!

I finished We Are the Light by Matthew Quick which was weird. Totally written in letter format. 3 star.

I read the Matthew Perry memoir which was good but sad. He's truly an addict and super lonely.

I started Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six by Lisa Unger which is good so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I liked the Lisa Unger but there were a lot of characters so I had to flip back. I think it was my fault because I stopped for a few days to give my eyes a break.

Not sure if I've shared this but I'm having trouble with my close eyesight which I thought would be fixed with a new script. Nope. Eye dr thinks my eye muscles are weak so I need to go in for more tests. I'm honestly worried that this will cut down/out my reading. :( Doesn't help that S is teasing me that I'm going blind and that I should stop reading so much. :sadpanda
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Hey S, not cool! Knock it off!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Not cool indeed, S!

I finished The Dreamers. Loved it. Then I read her earlier novel, The Age of Miracles. It was pretty good, too.

Then I started The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. So far I'm not impressed, but lots of readers say the beginning is slow but it gets better, so I'll keep trying.

I seem to be on a post-apocalypse kick.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I seem to be on a post-apocalypse kick.
Clearly.... :D
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Couldn't get into The Dog Stars. Then I read The Measure, which was ok until the 30% mark or so, so I finished it, but ended up hating.

As usual, I have no idea what I'm in the mood for. What was your last 5-star read?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Sylvia - I loved Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. It's really a story about friendship and I found it different from anything I've read recently.

I'm reading Book Lovers by Emily Henry which I'm really liking. It's sad because I can't marathon read anymore so it's taking me longer to finish things. :(
Hopefully the eye dr can get to the bottom of my vision stuff.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, I saw that you have an eye dr appt today. Good luck! Let us know what they say. Also, that book has been on my list for a while. Maybe I should read it next.

I'm reading a post-apocalyptic fantasy by Nora Roberts. Please don't judge me. It's called Year One. So far I'm enjoying the post-apocalypse elements. Not so much the fantastic ones. We'll see. I'm at 30%, but these days I often give up on books at 40, 50% if I think it's going to be a waste of time.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Good luck, Rowan!

I finished At Least You Have Your Health by Madi Sinha. It was good!

Now I have Instructions for A Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell. I am really late to this one.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks - had the eye dr today. He now thinks the script is right but the positioning in the lenses is wrong (which is what I was pushing last time) so they're being remade. Hopefully that fixes things.

I'm still reading Book Lovers by Emily Henry - I'm liking it. I'm almost done -- <50 pages or so.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Instructions for a Heatwave. Meh.

Then I read The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward. Ok, a lot of unanswered questions at the end.

Now I have You Will Remember Me by Hannah Mary McKinnon.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the Nora Roberts. It was ok. Not great writing, but the plot moved fast enough to keep me engaged.

Then I read the sample of Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow, but couldn't get into it. I saw some people on goodreads saying it's much more than a book about video games, but I couldn't get past all the video game talk.

Then I started Greenwich Park, which I'm also finding kinda boring... I'm at 18%. Anyone read it? This had been on my list forever, but I'm finding it super slow. Then I found out that Lily Brooks-Dalton (author of Good Morning, Midnight) has a new book out and I wanna drop everything and start reading it. Might do that if Greenwich Park doesn't pick up in the next 5-10 pages.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished You Will Remember Me. Plot was ok, writing was not great.

That's my goal, 72 books for the year! I might be able to get one more in.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I did finish one more: Golden Girl by Elin Hidebrand. Her books are solidly reliable.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Is Golden Girl the one about the woman who dies and keeps an eye on her family from beyond? I think I was unimpressed by that one. Elin Hilderbrand is very hit-and-miss for me, though I loved at least 2 or 3. I wanna check out her latest, The Hotel Nantucket, I think.

I did give up on Greenwich Park. And read the new Lily Brooks-Dalton, The Light Pirate. LOVED it. She has an Emily St. John Mandel vibe, which I love.

Then I decided to give Tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow another chance because I'm curious and I don't hate it. I might end up liking it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yes, that's the one. I think I rated it a bit higher because compared to the one I had just finished, at least the writing and dialogue were decent!