I don't know how to phrase this, but...

Moderator: Malanee

Jax
Saddle Basket

I don't know how to phrase this, but...

Post by Jax »

Am I the only one here who doesn't read the same types of books that you guys do? I don't know what to call them because they're not really "chick lit" (besides, that sounds derogatory and I don't mean it that way). I end up reading stuff like horror novels, sometimes classics like Les Miserables, thrillers, etc. I guess I am a weird mix of "low brow" books and classics, and non-fiction. I feel so out of place when I look here because I don't even know what half of these books are. :oops:

Am I the only odd duck? When I think of books you mention here and I pick them up at the bookstore, a lot of them seem depressing...? Am I just overly sensitive? (well, I *am* neurotic, as we all know...) :shrug
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

How can you be an "odd duck" when it comes to books? There are BILLIONS of books! Truthfully, I'm surprised that we find *any* we can agree on with all the choices out there.

Besides, you and I both read classics, so if you're odd, then I'm odd. I usually read a mix of classics, CanLit, and some "chick lit" when I need fluff.

I usually feel like the "odd one" in real life because I don't read sci-fi, fantasy or horror. I can't stand that stuff, but I know a lot of people that that's all they read. :shrug

I dunno. To each their own...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

I read a mix of horror, thriller, suspense and pure brain candy. I only read the books suggested in the book club to broaden my reading comfort zone because if left to my own devices I'd read Cujo for the 25th time. :oops:
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I mostly read True Crime stuff and only occassionally pic up books liek the ones you all disucss here
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

It's funny you mention Les Miz because that was actually one of our selections!

Anyways, I don't normally read the books we read here in book club either. I figure it's good to broaden my horizons. The only book I've hated so far was Crabwalk. I couldn't even finish it. But I didn't attempt Les Miz because I thought it would be boring.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I really don't read those kinds of books, but hey, we're totally open to suggestions, man!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Marie wrote:I read a mix of horror, thriller, suspense and pure brain candy. I only read the books suggested in the book club to broaden my reading comfort zone because if left to my own devices I'd read Cujo for the 25th time. :oops:
Cujo is just one f'n' scary book, man. :lol

I am not complaining about the books chosen here-- not AT ALL. I just wondered if I was the only one who wasn't in that zone. Maybe I should try one next time and just see. I just don't want to end up reading some book that makes me cry every night, so maybe that's my problem, and maybe I have a serious misconception here.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I don't usually read the book club selections, but that's because I wanna read whatever I want whenever I want. Book clubs seem like homework to me. I'm not sure what books you're referring to when you say "the types of books you guys read". I think we read a wide selection of books.

Now you got me curious: what were your favorite books in the last year or so? Maybe I can get some ideas!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Silvia, I don't know how to explain it. But they're just often the kinds of books that seem depressing to me. "The Life of Pi", "The Secret Life of Bees", "Kite Runner", etc....I look at them and I'm like, "Hello, these look really depressing, and do I really want to read sad books every night before bed?" Maybe I'm just being oversensitive to the subject matter or something.

I am NOT suggesting that you guys alter your book club choices AT ALL. I am not criticizing them. I am only wondering if I am just completely weird for not being on the same page, no pun intended.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Jax, about Cujo...the first time I read it I didn't find it scary. I kept thinking, dude its a DOG, wtf? Just kill it or whatever. I mean, I loved the book, thought it was well written and all but didn't get why a rabid St Bernard would be that scary.

Then I got one. Holy crap! I never knew the strength behind those dogs. Thumper pinned me to the couch once because he wanted to snuggle. I couldn't move. Literally. Read it again and it scared the crap out of me!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Well Jax, I don't think they are all depressing. Are you READING the Amazon.com blurbs? :lol Kite Runner was depressing. The Secret Life of Bees was pretty uplifting, and Life of Pi was... hmm... kind of like an adult fairy tale.

But for the record, I'm exactly like you when it comes to movies. I canNOT watch something like Hotel Rwanda or Million Dollar Baby. No matter how good the movies are, I know that I am too depressed and impressionable to watch them.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Well, sometimes I don't think they are depressing, Crystal....just boring. :oops:

I am probably being too close-minded.

Tell me your top 5 of these sorts of books that I would probably love, but have been neglecting. Everyone, that is. </bossy>

:lol
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Marie wrote:
Then I got one. Holy crap! I never knew the strength behind those dogs. Thumper pinned me to the couch once because he wanted to snuggle. I couldn't move. Literally. Read it again and it scared the crap out of me!
That's how it is with Ella (English mastiff). She's only about 150 pounds now, but when she wants to snuggle, if she pins me down, I cannot move. It's not like fighting off a person. You just cannot budge them. I haven't read Cujo since we got Ella, but I'm sure it would scare me even more then.

I have never been able to make myself watch the movie.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Secret Life of Bees was good...
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

The Kite Runner was fantastic. Traumatic, but I don't think it would make you depressed.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm on page 72 of The Kite Runner, and I'm still not hooked...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, I'm on page 160 and I'm hooked now :grin: .

There was a dialogue in it that reminded me of you, Jax: a character was reading Wuthering Heights, and another one said "it's a sad story", to which the former replied "sad stories make good books". Hehe. I certainly agree with that, but I'm not sure you would!
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Sílvia wrote:Ok, I'm on page 160 and I'm hooked now :grin: .
See, told ya!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, it does get good! But I found the beginning slow.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Jax - are there books you want to suggest for our reading list? I love mystery/thrillers and I've read almost every single one of Stephen King's books. I'm still trying to get through Les Miserables, though. It's just so dense! I would love to read more classics. What other classics do you like?
Happiness is an inside job.