What are you reading now? (JANUARY 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Aly wrote:
Aly wrote:1) What did you think of Everyone Worth Knowing?
Well, I never finished The Devil Wears Prada, so I can't say it was better or worse than that one. I dunno, on one hand it was entertaining as far as fluff goes, but I wasn't really "enlightened" or anything. It's enough to say it kept me intrigued long enough to finish it, and if you know me, that should impress you enough. I have a habit of not finishing books that don't interest me by at least the halfway point. :oops: And I have to wonder how long it will take her novels to become too dated. I mean, they can't last too long, since they refer to current celebrities and things like the Brad/Jenn breakup. :dunno I just can't see people reading that 5 years from now and still finding it interesting. Any thoughts?
:poke LB

So ya gonna read it? Huh? Huh? :ashley
Ya gonna lend it to me? ;)
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Ya gonna pay the library fines? :lol
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I read Wifey yesteray, it was good but the ending made me angry.

Now I'm readin the other book that was with it Smart Women, I 'll start today :)

Thanks LB :)... ps I just found the note after I pmd you :)
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Anna wrote:I read Wifey yesteray, it was good but the ending made me angry.
Dang, woman! You read that whole book in one day? :faint

I don't remember the ending . . . but I do remember being slightly disappointed. Maybe we can chat about it more over PMs?
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

LB don't forget I dont' work outside my house so I have lots of free time... I read most of it after Eric got home from work last night.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I read Smart Women yesterday I much prefered that to Wifey...
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

:high5
aly

Post by aly »

1. Still reading Catcher in the Rye. Wanted to finish this weekend but had too much to do.

2. Started the audio "The 7 Stages of Motherhood."

3. Finished Memoirs of a Geisha. Good, but I would've like to have had the unabriged. :shrug Or the actual book.

I think I'm going to get Pride and Prejudice for my next classic, and The Time Traveler's Wife for my next modern selection.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Namesake, which I loved, then I read Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel García Márquez, which was ok. Mellen, you're the one who loved it, right? I don't know, I think I'd be more interested in what happened after the truth was disclosed than in the shipwreck itself.

Now I've just started Madame Bovary.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished And God Created the Au Pair by a couple of sisters. I can't remember their names right now. It's told entirely through emails and was really funny. One of the sisters has just moved from the UK to Toronto, so it was neat to read from that perspective, and the way they banter about their husbands and kids was funny and real.

Now I've got Hand Me Down by Lee Nichols. More chick-lit.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I finished the Speed of Dark about an autistic man who has an opportunity to have an opportunity to have an operation to make him normal. But the thing is, he is functioning in society and has savant talents that have landed him a really good job. Lots of moral dilemmas. I really enjoyed it.
Happiness is an inside job.
aly

Post by aly »

I finished Catcher in the Rye yesterday. I started The Time Traveler's Wife. It's really long and seems like it will take me forever. :neutral: I couldn't decide between Pride and Prejudice, The Time Traveler's Wife and a non-fiction called "Brought to Bed: Childbearing in America 1750s-1950s" that sounded really interesting.

I started listening to Animal Farm on audio yesterday and am almost finished. I'll start State of Fear on audio by Michael Crichton next.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Right now I'm reading a book called Work to Live. At first I thought it was mostly about strategies to maximize efficiency so you have more time to live outside the office, but really its an indictment of the American white collar workplace and how Americans are working more and more, developing stress-related conditions at an alarming rate, families are breaking down, etc., etc. Also, you know how for years in the 80s we used to hear about the Japanese and how they would "commute home" and often died young due to work-related stress? Well, the USA passed Japan in terms of hours worked in 2003. Yikes. This book is really fascinating to me because it's validating a lot of things I was thinking and feeling, but didn't feel I had permission to say out loud. (Oh and the book addresses that, too - how the workplace nourishes this feeling that if you complain about having to work all the time you are some kind of slacker and/or ingrate (sp?).) The only negative thing about the book is that it makes me look around and realize how crazy everything is here . . . but I'm not done serving my sentence, so I need to keep my head down and "stay the course." :shrug
DopeyDont
Me Not Post Much

Post by DopeyDont »

I just finished the unabridged audio of Animal Farm and am now listening to State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I can't put it down! It's soooo good so far!
Molly
Gone Postal

Post by Molly »

I am currently bookless. I finished My Friend Leonard on Saturday, and haven't found anything else that interests me yet. Maybe I'll go to Costco on my lunch and look at their books...they usually have a good selection. I hate being without a book to read.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Just finished "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. It was really good. Gave you a lot to think about.
aly

Post by aly »

DopeyDont wrote:I just finished the unabridged audio of Animal Farm and am now listening to State of Fear by Michael Crichton.

I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I can't put it down! It's soooo good so far!
This was supposed to be posted under Aly.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

That darn Dopey Don't trying to steal people's identities!!! :phbtt!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Shhh! People might begin to suspect something!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Aprons on a Clothesline by Traci DuPree which was very good. Its a story about a family in small town MI - the character development was just excellent.

*edited to add* That apparently Traci DuPree is a "Christian" writer - I didn't notice a whole lot of Godspeak but I started her other book and it is much heavier. Just wanted to let you all know - although I still do suggest it even though I don't like a lot of God with my fiction.

I'm currently reading "Don't eat this book" by Morgan Spurlock (of SuperSize Me fame) and Body for Life for Women by some woman dr.

I also have in my pile another novel by Traci DuPree.
Last edited by Rowan on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.