What are you reading now? (JANUARY 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

What are you reading now? (JANUARY 2006)

Post by Lady Bug »

Whatcha readin'?
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Eric got me a CSI book and since it' the only thing I haVe here I'm reading it... I will get to the library or book store or something soon

Jon got the Chronicles of Narnia series for Xmas so I might read those.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I like it, but there's not much of a plot so far. I like my books to have plots that keep me up later than usual. This one doesn't. But it's interesting. And it taught me what a lazy Susan is. No, it's not Spudd on a sedentary day. Do you guys use that term? I had to look it up.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, yeah, we use that term. We had one when I was a kid and my mom was forever cracking dumb jokes about it.

I'm reading "Night of Moon and Stars" (or something like that) by Maeve Binchy. DH got it for me for xmas. It's standard Maeve Binchy fare. One part that cracked me up was she has one character who's American, and he said something like "Sure, and he'll be along in a minute" the way that Irish people do. You'd never hear an American say that. Guess she didn't do her research!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" and thought it was excellent. It really hit home for me since it was being told from an autistic male's point of view.

I am about to start reading a vampire novel called "Live Girls" that's supposed to be very good. I am also about to start reading one of Ian's books.
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner (also wrote Good in Bed and In Her Shoes). It was pretty good, although I'm glad I didn't pay money for it.

I just started And God Created the Au Pair. 20 pages in I'm really liking it. It's basically correspondence between two sisters who have kids. One has just moved from the UK to Toronto, so there's lots of discussion of cultural differences, and it's funny. It's by Benedicte Newland and Pascale Smets.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm reading The Boys of Winter about the 1980 USA hockey team beating Russia in the Olympics. Pretty good, but the author is painting a pretty bleak picture of coach Herb Brooks and it's starting to grate on me.
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

I just finished Everyone Worth Knowing by the author of The Devil Wears Prada.

I am about halfway through The Catcher in the Rye, because I'm trying to intersperse classics in with regular reading. Believe it or not, I made it through school without ever having to read it. So far I'm really wondering WHY it is a classic, it seems really rambly. :shrug

I'm listening to Memoirs of a Geisha on audio.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Aly, I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 16, you know... right when you're in the middle of teen angst and you're supposed to carry that book around like a Bible. And even then, I thought "Meh... :shrug "

I'm reading "The Comic Toolbox" for school, and "Mrs. Dalloway" for fun.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Aly wrote:I just finished Everyone Worth Knowing by the author of The Devil Wears Prada.

I am about halfway through The Catcher in the Rye, because I'm trying to intersperse classics in with regular reading. Believe it or not, I made it through school without ever having to read it. So far I'm really wondering WHY it is a classic, it seems really rambly. :shrug

I'm listening to Memoirs of a Geisha on audio.
1) What did you think of Everyone Worth Knowing?

2) I agree re: Catcher in the Rye - maybe because it's one of the first books to deal with teen angst in a modern era? :dunno

3) Are you listening to the abridged version or complete version?
aly

Post by aly »

1) What did you think of Everyone Worth Knowing?
Well, I never finished The Devil Wears Prada, so I can't say it was better or worse than that one. I dunno, on one hand it was entertaining as far as fluff goes, but I wasn't really "enlightened" or anything. It's enough to say it kept me intrigued long enough to finish it, and if you know me, that should impress you enough. I have a habit of not finishing books that don't interest me by at least the halfway point. :oops: And I have to wonder how long it will take her novels to become too dated. I mean, they can't last too long, since they refer to current celebrities and things like the Brad/Jenn breakup. :dunno I just can't see people reading that 5 years from now and still finding it interesting. Any thoughts?

2) I agree re: Catcher in the Rye - maybe because it's one of the first books to deal with teen angst in a modern era? :dunno
I guess so...lol.

The abridged. Meh. :huffy I didn't mean to get that one. Why do you ask?
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

As usual, I am the odd man out. I liked "Catcher in the Rye."

:shrug
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Aly wrote:

Because the unabridged version is, like, 17 hours long! The abridged version is only 3 or 4 :)
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Now I'm reading Wifey curtosey of LB!
aly

Post by aly »

Jax wrote:As usual, I am the odd man out. I liked "Catcher in the Rye."

:shrug
Well, I haven't finished it yet, so I'll let you know if I liked it then! :lol
aly

Post by aly »

Lady Bug wrote:
Aly wrote:

Because the unabridged version is, like, 17 hours long! The abridged version is only 3 or 4 :)
Shoot. I wonder how much I'm missing. It's just that I started the abriged one because I couldn't wait on the unabriged and now I'm wondering if I should've waited. I was just too intrigued and wanted to "read" it before I saw the movie. Did you listen to the unabriged (or read the book)?
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Jax.. I liked Cather in the Rye too, I recall it being one of the few books of required reading in high school that I liked.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I hated Catcher in the Rye. I only read it a couple of years ago, but I think I'd probably have hated it when I was 16, too. I found it SO boring. And the protagonist is so annoying.
aly

Post by aly »

LOL...Ack! Now I don't even want to finish it! :lol

Knowing myself, I shouldn't have said anything. LOL!
aly

Post by aly »

Aly wrote:1) What did you think of Everyone Worth Knowing?
Well, I never finished The Devil Wears Prada, so I can't say it was better or worse than that one. I dunno, on one hand it was entertaining as far as fluff goes, but I wasn't really "enlightened" or anything. It's enough to say it kept me intrigued long enough to finish it, and if you know me, that should impress you enough. I have a habit of not finishing books that don't interest me by at least the halfway point. :oops: And I have to wonder how long it will take her novels to become too dated. I mean, they can't last too long, since they refer to current celebrities and things like the Brad/Jenn breakup. :dunno I just can't see people reading that 5 years from now and still finding it interesting. Any thoughts?
:poke LB

So ya gonna read it? Huh? Huh? :hyper
Last edited by aly on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.