What are you reading now? (February 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

What are you reading now? (February 2006)

Post by aly »

I just finished The Namesake.

Started Pride and Prejudice on Audio.

Reading 1984

Reading Give it Up also, when I can.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

I just finished Walking Shadow by Robert B. Parker. It's not at all the type of book I'd normally read (mass-market mystery), but my neighbor loaned it to me and therefore I felt obligated to read it. It was actually surprisingly good... completely far-fetched and ridiculous, but a really fast read that provided a relaxing mindless way to pass a couple of evenings.

Next up? I'm undecided. Leading candidates include...

Three Junes by Julia Glass (chicklit)
Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon (travel memoirs)
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear (scifi, suggested by a friend)
Main Street by Sinclair Lewis
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
No Logo by Naomi Klein

I'm too 'blah' to read tonight, so we'll see what I'm in the mood for when the reading bug hits tomorrow.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I've read "Main Street" and "No Logo". They're both really dense books; you'll never read them straight through. But they're good.

I think you should start with "Three Junes".
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Dense or not, I always read books straight through ;)

We'll see what kind of mood I'm in tomorrow - dense or fluffy.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished my Maeve Binchy (Evening Class) and I've started on "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King.

I ordered Interpreter of Maladies from Amazon, but they say it won't arrive until mid-March! Bastards!
aly

Post by aly »

Argh, Pride and Prejudice started skipping on the first CD! I quit listening (couldn't get through several parts...) and started For Laci by Sharon Rocha.

Still reading 1984 but momentarily pausing to squeeze in some short stories by Nikolai Gogol (because I read The Namesake and got interested).

Also reading Give it Up still.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Update: I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered from Chapters instead. It should be here this week! I'll definitely have time to read it in Cuba. :)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I just read A Paper Life, Tatum O'Neal's biography. She strikes me as a bit of a wingnut, but her life is really sad, and Ryan O'Neal comes off as a complete a**hole. I was also obsessed with "Bad New Bears" when I was little. :lol

Now I have a self-help book called Complete Confidence, but I need some fiction to offset it. Any thoughts?
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Read out book club book!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

:ohfor

:lol

aly

Post by aly »

Crystal Meth wrote: I was also obsessed with "Bad New Bears" when I was little. :lol
Me too!

That and Paper Moon.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I am reading The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. This guy is a genius. Here's the entry on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Gladwell

He also wrote Blink, which I read last week, and loved as well.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

I am still reading Mary, Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley. It is very interesting.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Shantaram, the best novel ever written according to a lot of amazon reviewers and a bunch of other people. I hope they're right, since it's 940 pages long and I'm only on page 138! I found the beginning boring, but I find most books boring in the beginning, so we'll see.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I am reading a fantastic book called Somebody's Someone by Regina Louise - it's a memoir of a black girl growing up in foster care in the South. This is one of those so-good-you-miss-you-train-stop books!
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm reading The Hungry Ocean about a female fishing boat captain. It's really good!
Happiness is an inside job.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

Blush, I really liked The Tipping Point. It's a pretty popular book here at work. I actuall just started Blink by the same author.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I actually enjoyed The Tipping Point more.

I just finished The Bitch Posse by Marth O'Connor. This was definitely a darker look into the lives of teenage girls than is usually portrayed in novels. Sheesh.

Now I'm reading Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani. I think it's a character driven novel about a small town.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I just got Interpreter of Maladies from the library. :smug It's really good so far; the language is beautiful.

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hey Crystal, that's short stories, right? I'm not crazy about short stories, but I LOVED The Namesake, so I might give Interpreter... a try.