What are you reading now? (March 2006)

Moderator: Malanee

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

What are you reading now? (March 2006)

Post by Crystal Meth »

Good grief, people. It's March 16 and we didn't have a new topic!

I'm reading A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. It won the Governor General's Award and I can see why. I love her writing style. I've read her other books too.

Mmm... satisfying. :smug
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished The Jane Austen Book Club. I enjoyed it but I felt like it was too short. There wasn't much to it.

Next I need to read Diary for book club.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I haven't posted yet because I'm still reading Shantaram. I've been reading it since the beginning of February. It took me forever to get into it, and I'm a slow reader. I like it now, but I'm still on page 680 (of 936).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished His and Hers by Mike Gayle. His writing style reminds me of Nick Hornby. I really enjoyed this book.

Now I'm reading a suspense by Greg Isles called The Footprints of God. It definitely won't win any awards but it's a nice change of pace.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I'm reading Strapped: Why America's 20- and 30-Somethings Can't Get Ahead by Tamara Draught. It's not griping me like I thought it would, but I'm only on the first chapter, so there's still time.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Lady Bug wrote:It's not griping me like I thought it would
You mean gripping? :nerd
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Well, I was really excited to read it but it's just not written in a style that pulls me in y'know?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

:rofl LB, she knew what you meant.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

*re-reading posts*

Whoops :dweeb
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

In printed form:

I'm still trying to finish Interpreter of Maladies. I've been lazy and reading so much stuff for work and school that I just haven't felt like reading at home.

On audio:

I finished Dude, Where's My Country by Michael Moore and really enjoyed it.
I also finished Why do Men Have Nipples, which was short and sweet. Funny!
I'm part of the way through The World is Flat and also A Million Little Pieces.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading Diary now, because I'm such a good little book club member.

It's kind of trippy. I'd probably be enjoying it more, but I'm just all out of street drugs at the moment. ;)

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Me too. I'm just about done, actually. I just noticed last night that in his author's photo, Chuck looks a lot like Jeff Probst. LOL.

At first I wasn't that into it but as it's reaching the climax it's quite gripping.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finally finished Shantaram yesterday! :woohoo Such an irregular book. I loved parts of it, but others made me wanna cry of boredom because I'd have to get through them to get to the good parts again.

Anyway, I based my next choice almost solely on length. After Shantaram's 936 pages, I wanted something short, so I chose Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. She's so funny! But I'm only on page 30 or so.

I'm also reading Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language, but you guys might not be as fascinated as I am.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished reading The Goddess Rules by Clare Naylor. It's chicklit, but not too fluffy. I really enjoyed it.

I'm going to look at my library list to see what's due next. That'll be what I read.

Ok, looks like it's Big Cherry Holler by Adriana Trigiani. I liked the first one in the trilogy, and I hope this one's as good.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I'm reading The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Is Diary next on our list? I've been slacking w/ book club. :dunno
Happiness is an inside job.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Ruth, I just got A Girl Named Zippy from the library. If I don't like it, I'm coming after you! :sumo

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Crystal Meth wrote:Ruth, I just got A Girl Named Zippy from the library. If I don't like it, I'm coming after you! :sumo
I hope you like it! It was one of those I ended up liking unexpectedly. Someone forced me to read it. So stick with it. And you better like it or I'm coming for you! :deadly
Happiness is an inside job.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Okay, I liked Zippy, Ruth. You're safe... FOR NOW. :lol

I just started The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald. (She of Fall on Your Knees fame.) It's really good, her writing is excellent and I'm enjoying the little historical references, some of them Canadian.

The only sucky thing is that I'm reading the hardcover version and it's about 500 pounds. It's really annoying to hold upright, and I can't take it anywhere because it doesn't fit in my purse, and I don't dare read it in bed because I might fall asleep and it will crush me. :lol