Beana--Sweet Potato Pie?

Where teh funnay is kept!
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Beana--Sweet Potato Pie?

Post by curvyred »

Beana--are you the person who has a favorite sweet potato pie recipe?

We're going to a Kwanzaa celebration at the adoption agency next week (yes, timing is WAY off, but hey . . .) and we're supposed to bring a side dish. We were given a suggested list of dishes and recipes and sweet potato pie was on the list. (Maybe they were worried we would all bring jello salad or bundt cake something without a suggested recipe list? :giggle I dont' know.)

Anyway--would you share your recipe?
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

I guarantee your SPP will be the best dish there!

2 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (most people boil their sweet potatoes, but I roast mine in the oven. It brings out the natural sugars). When you peel the sweet potatoes there will be alot of caramelized sugar around them but don't be alarmed, just dump it all in.

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp lemon extract

1 tbsp Vanilla extract

1 tsp ground nutmeg (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ADD CINNAMON NO MATTER HOW TEMPTED YOU ARE)

3 eggs

1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk

1 stick of butter melted (yeah, a whole stick!)

1 tsp All purpose flour

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell. (I just get the frozen pie crusts from the market. I cannot make crust from scratch.

Mix everything together with an electric mixer, pour into the pie crust and bake at 350 for about an hour or until set.

B
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Thanks Beana!

That sounds great!
Sugarful
Master of the Smilies

Post by Sugarful »

Approx. how many sweet potatoes do you roast? My boss was just mentioning how hard it is to find sweet potato pie so this recipe came at a great time.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

About 4 big sweet potatoes should do it.

Enjoy!
Sugarful
Master of the Smilies

Post by Sugarful »

Thanks! Now I'm just hoping that my oven will be nice and bake evenly and at the right temperature.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Three questions:

1. Why no cinnamon? Cinnamon makes everything better...?

2. Is the perfect crust for this thin or thick? My crust is very thin and delicate for pies but I'm wondering if it would stand up for this or just get lost. What about just baking it in a dish without a crust?

3. Care to share your mac and cheese recipe?

:eat
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

1. - I don't have a good explanation, just that the times I put cinnamon in my SPP, people were like, eh it's okay. I took the cinnamon out and my family begs for it like a crack whore.

2. Um I think a thin crust is fine. I actually tried to bake some leftover pie filling in some muffin tins, and it didn't work out so well...

3. I don't really have a mac & cheese recipe. I just kind of wing it. I don't have exact amounts. Let me see if I can put something together.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Beana, that note about the cinnamon is really funny. I could totally see myself improvising and being like "ah, some cinnamon would be great!". So unless there was a note in a recipe like that, I would absolutely try it. :lol

This pie sounds yum! I'm going to a party tonight at 6:30, I wonder if I have time to make this?
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

:lol That's why I added that note. It's normal to gravitate towards cinnamon when you're doing holiday cooking, but trust me. No cinnamon. Just the nutmeg!

B
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Oh, that sounds soooooo good! I'm saving this for next time I have some sweet potatoes!
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Beana--I'm going to make this tonight as a test run.

Do I roast with the skins on and then peel and discard the skins, or does the whole thing go in there? I know you said to toss in all the carmelized sugar from the sweet potato, but what about the skins themselves?
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

LOL. Skins out! peel the skins off and toss in the rest.
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Thanks! :) I think this is the first time I've actually purchased a sweet potato, let alone cooked one.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

LOL

I gave a pie to my assistant and her friends pie-jacked her. They loved it!
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

:lol Pie-jacked? That's priceless. :lol

I'm going to feed this one to my coworker as thanks for him pulling samples for me the other day when I was feeling so crappy. I'll let you know how it goes!
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Beana wrote:pie-jacked her
:roflmao
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Hmmm . . .well, I made the first one and it turned out . . . ok. I think I put a little too much sweet potato in it because it's a little dry. (And I think I overcooked the sweet potatoes just a little.)

It's good, but it's REALLY sweet! Woo-ee! Bruce ate some and said, "Needs cinnamon." :rofl

I'll improve on the next round! Thanks Beana!
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

I'm surprised you think it's sweet. I adapted this from a recipee that called for 1/4 cup more of sugar and I cut that out. Interesting...
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Beana--maybe my sweet potatoes were extra sweet? Who knows.

I'll be a little more careful in my measuring next time and see what happens. :)