Can there ever be too much cheese? Seriously.

Where teh funnay is kept!
Marie
TH Master

Can there ever be too much cheese? Seriously.

Post by Marie »

So on a food board we're sharing ideas for menus around prime rib. I posted mine and this wench posted TWICE that it was too much cheese. See what you think:

Appetizers around 4pm:

shrimp cocktail (hello, no cheese)
goat cheese/pesto/sun-dried tomato spread

Dinner around 7pm:

First course: french onion soup (obviously cheesy on top - I believe gruyere and something else but I can't remember.)

Dinner:
prime rib (again, no cheese)
spinach au gratin (ok, lots of cheese - gruyere, goat and a little parmesean. LOTS)
twice baked taters (using cheddar & goat mixed instead of just cheddar but I've never thought of twice baked potatoes as necessarily cheesy....)

Normally in my house there can never be too much cheese. Ever. And this woman is all "with all that heavy food your guests won't be able to move" - um, hello, you don't stuff yourself! You have a normal portion.

She pissed me off. :elf

But now I'm wondering if it really is too much cheese...... :worry
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

You could leave it out of the spread, I guess.

Ordinarily, I would say there's no such thing as too much cheese. But there may be such thing as too much goat cheese. :think

She is definitely a wench though. Let's take her out. :elf
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Crystal Meth wrote:
Ordinarily, I would say there's no such thing as too much cheese. But there may be such thing as too much goat cheese. :think

She is definitely a wench though. Let's take her out. :elf
:ditto to both.

Adding another cheeseless vegetable to dinner might reduce the ratio of cheesey foods to non-cheesey foods.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Well, the goat cheese in the spread will be in a total goat cheese form. We only added the cheese appetizer because of SIL coming - and it is already prepared and in the freezer so it is a no-brainer to put it out.

But in the spinach and potatoes it will take on more of a creamy consistency and just add flavor without being all in your face - and it is a secondary ingredient in both. The spinach and gruyere will be primary in the spinach and the potato and cheddar in the potato.

And we all wuv goat cheese....:drool

Hrm..?
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Um what time is dinner and when can you pick me up at Ohare?
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Blush wrote:cheeseless vegetable
What is this c-h-e-e-s-e-l-e-s-s vegetable you speak of? I don't believe I've ever heard of that term before.....

:malanee

Anna, SIL will be passing right by O'Hare about 3:30...I'm sure she'd be more than happy to pick you up. :lol

Oh, and dessert is kicked up monkey bread. So no cheese. I'm not even doing a cheese course for goodness sakes!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Marie wrote: I'm not even doing a cheese course for goodness sakes!
For goodness sakes, not a cheese course-less evening! :huffy

:lmao
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Crystal Meth wrote:
Marie wrote: I'm not even doing a cheese course for goodness sakes!
For goodness sakes, not a cheese course-less evening! :huffy
I know!!! Can you imagine?!?!??!?! But I think it will be ok....***crossing fingers***
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Well, I think it's cheesy. But I would marry cheese if it wasn't socially weird.

I agree with adding a cheeseless veggie. Or could you do salad in case anyone doesn't want cheesy soup? (I love french onion soup, so this would be foreign to me, too.)
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Everyone coming loves french onion soup. My grandma is a picky eater so the meal was planned around simple, basic foods that she'll love. We're going with a steakhouse theme (in case you couldn't tell! :giggle) and she'll love every dish we're making.

I wonder if a salad would be too much food then?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

For me, if I eat too much cheese, my stomach is not happy (luckily, goat cheese seems to be exempt from this). But, my only complaint with your menu is the spinach as the only vegetable. I don't like spinach. I'd rather have broccoli or brussels sprouts.

I could eat goat cheese all day. And if the veg and potatoes won't necessarily taste too cheesy, then I think it's fine. But adding a cheeseless veg wouldn't hurt, either. Or you could change your taters to a garlic mashed if you thought it was too much cheese.
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Well, you know your guests and what they like. If they like cheese like I do, then serve what you plan to serve and be happy. Fuck the cheeseless whore on the other board.
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Wyrd_sister
Me Not Post Much

Post by Wyrd_sister »

The answer is no, there can never be too much cheese.

I could live on cheese alone, granted I wouldn't live for long but who cares. It's cheese! It's heaven!

My one item to take to a desert island would be cheese.

I want to marry cheese.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

There is no such thing as too much cheese. Except on pizza and I only say that because pizza cheese gives me major GI issues.

Annnnyway, your menu is fine. You could add a vegetable-maybe a salad with a tart/sweet flavor, to balance all the rich, savory dishes you have.

I had a hard time with my menu because of the cheese thing too. I ended up nixing scalloped potatoes (3 cheese and garlic!) in favor of mashed potatoes (with mascarpone but who can tell?).

Here's mine:

Appetizers
Lime spiced nuts
Crackers, goat cheese, cranberry chipotle compote

Dinner
Apple, pecan salad with maple vinaigrette
Maple and whiskey braised ham
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes with mascarpone cheese
Green beans with almonds
Fontina and mascapone baked pasta
Cornbread muffins with warm honey
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Jax wrote: Fuck the cheeseless whore on the other board.
:lmao!!!

Annie, have you ever tried maple syrup on cornbread muffins? REAL maple syrup, I mean? :drool

BTW, we call them cornmeal muffins here, for all the dialect junkies out there.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

Cheesless whore! :lmao

OMG you guys are cracking me up.

Marie I'll be eating at your place. Prime rib, French onion soup, cheesy potatoes. Oh yeah!

B
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Forget the cheese ... it's this kicked up monkey bread that's got me wondering. Please explain. :fruitcake :ruth
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

monkey bread is white bread dough. You pinch off walnut-sized pieces, dip in butter, roll in cinnamon and sugar, and fill up a loaf or round pan with them. Then you bake it like regular bread. It is easy to pull off a piece (or several) when you are eating it.

How it gets kicked up, I do not know. In my mind it was "jacked up" for whatever that's worth.

And I do kind of think it's alot of cheese (dodges brie, camembert and manchego wedges). But if you know your guests, you know what they will eat. I don't like eating only heavy food. It's not about portions to me, I _like_ light healthy crispy veggies in addition to the creamy yumminess.

And I want the recipe from Annie for lime spiced nuts.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I want to marry cheese.
:lol

Me too. I could live on bread, cheese and chocolate alone. Ok, maybe some fruit too.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

I'm adding brown sugar, toasted pecans, cinnamin and nutmeg to the monkey bread. As well as a melted butter/brown sugar thing to pour over the top before baking.

I'm sticking with my cheese stuff! Also discussed with Jeff last night. We're a cheesy family who loves rich, savory dishes on holidays.

And when we all get together for a big party, Annie and I get to plan the menu! :drool