Major animal hoarding case just down the road from work....

Where teh funnay is kept!
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Major animal hoarding case just down the road from work....

Post by chickenlittle »

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/ ... 12364.html

They've seized 375 - 400 animals (still a few they're trying to catch, by what I understand) from a hoarder just down the road from my clinic :( Last I heard, approximately 100 of those were rats and guinea pigs that the woman was breeding, with the rest being dogs, cats, goats, horses, llamas, ducks, chicken, parrots, and some other stuff. Insane.

A few people from work went over there last night (a doctor and a few techs) to help out. It sounds like the state vet and the national humane society disaster team (which was called in) have the logistics mostly under control, but I'm sure they need manpower. I'm waiting to hear from my coworkers on whether the help is needed or not, but if so I'll be out there tomorrow and Monday.

How can people be so sick?

Apparently one of my coworkers (who's very involved in the local humane society) has seen this lady selling puppies on the side of the road and at flea markets for years. So her whole "rescue" front isn't gonna work... she may have started that way, but now she's just another puppy mill.

ETA: "According to Animal Services, the final count included 160 large and small dogs, 40 cats, 100 rodents, 65 fowl and exotic birds and 10 livestock including horses, ponies, a llama and goats."
razzy
Rainbow Unicorn Handler

Re: Major animal hoarding case just down the road from work....

Post by razzy »

Wow. Was she neglecting the animals, or does the state just think she has too many?
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Apparently they're all in really bad shape. A lot of malnourishment, heavy parasite infestations, lots of infectious disease, several dead animals found in the home and on the property, etc. Oh, and what I don't know if the article mentions is that a lot of these animals were kept indoors... IN A TRAILER. I'm pretty sure it was a SINGLEWIDE TRAILER. How do you fit that many animals AND a human family in a singlewide trailer??? I'm just astounded....
razzy
Rainbow Unicorn Handler

Post by razzy »

That's really sad and heartwrenching. When I go to the shelter, I want to take all the animals home with me, but then I'd probably end up like that crazy lady with 400 animals.

I know a lady here who used to be a dog groomer and has 13 dogs. Anytime she sees a stray, she just can't walk away from it. But she has 5 acres of land and two grown sons living with her who help out. I still think it's a LOT of dogs.
chickenlittle
Poster Extraordinaire

Post by chickenlittle »

Some of my coworkers (one doctor and several techs) are, in my mind, bordering on having too many animals. The one doctor, for example, has 10-12 horses, 13 cats, and 8-10 dogs. But her sister and boyfriend live with her and help her with them, and all of the animals are well cared for. Still... I just could never do that. Once you get to the point where you're treating them as a "herd" instead of giving them individual attention, I think they start missing out.
starlight
Flapping Vajayjay

Post by starlight »

Crazy! Those poor animals.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

I'll stick with my one cat, thanks.

OMG that's alotta animals. And in a single wide trailer! Geez!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Where do you even get a llama? :headscratch
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Crystal Meth wrote:Where do you even get a llama? :headscratch
Here sweetie:

http://www.llama.org/

Put a llama in your life!
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Thank you! I was looking for something to guard sheep and other livestock...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Now I am singing, "Put a little llama in your life!"
Did you know llamas are affordable, fun, can pull a cart, go on a short walk or a long-trek, can be used as an investment vehicle, are easy to care for, are displayed at shows throughout the US, are great with kids, can guard sheep and other livestock and that their colorful fleece can be woven into durable, luxurious garments?
There's an alpaca and llama ad in every farm magazine my mom gets. I look at them in her bathroom. They all talk about "getting that wonderful fiber animal" and I'm like, "Yeah, I have so much time to care for a flippin' llama and then weave myself a coat of many colors!"
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I know Beverly really wants a goat. Perhaps a llama would fit well in her fine family! It would keep itself warm in the winter!

Bev?
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I have so much time to care for a flippin' llama and then weave myself a coat of many colors!
tagline?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, so this is where it came from!

Hm... good with kids? Maybe we should get one... to live right next to the recently bought highchair in our enormous apartment.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Oh Aly, any dream will do...

Sunrunner
Mmm... posting

Post by Sunrunner »

:lol :lol I didn't see this over the weekend. We were just sitting around talking about how one of the deputy's kids want to get a goat...
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Yeah, I could take a llama ... the weaving is right out, though!