Relating to babies/kids...

Where teh funnay is kept!
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Relating to babies/kids...

Post by aly »

I never realized how many kids songs I DON'T know. :lol :oops: I figured my pre-teen obsession with wanting to be a performer on Barney and Friends had me knowing all of them, but I start to sing to Julian and find I don't actually know the words. I usually just start making stuff up. For instance, my rendition of "Hush Little Baby" went like this...

Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's going to buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird don't sing,
Mama's going to buy you a diamond ring.

And if that diamond ring turns brass,
Mama's going to buy you a looking glass.

And if that looking glass gets broke,
[and this is where it gets bad]
Mama's going to buy you a Diet Coke. :spit

And if that Diet Coke goes flat,
And then after that I got nothin. I think I kept on going with whatever came to mind and rhymed.

In addition to that one, I've found myself singing Sweet Dreams (who sings "some of them want to use you...some of them want to get used by you..." to their baby? Honestly?) and Karma Chameleon.

Sometimes I do better with Broadway songs, since I tend to know a lot of them....the other day I sang Mr. Cellophane over and over to Julian who was tired but couldn't go to sleep.

Anyway, I guess I really need to get some kids songs CDs from the library and learn some songs. I read to Julian too, but find I have a difficult time thinking of different things to talk to him about. I tend to say the same things over and over. :dunno
razzy
Rainbow Unicorn Handler

Post by razzy »

And if that looking glass gets broke
Mama's gonna buy you a billy goat

And if that billy goat runs away
Mama's gonna buy you a Chevrolet

And if that Chevrolet won't run
Mama's gonna buy you a B.B. gun

And if that B.B. gun won't shoot
Mama's gonna buy you a hula hoop

LOL! I'm not much better, Aly! I discovered that when Aaron was a baby.

Honestly, I just made up most of the songs I sang to Aaron. His favorite is one I started singing when he was teeny tiny that I made up. I think the really babies just like to hear the soothing, loving voice of mommy and could care less about the lyrics.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

:rofl

I'm cracking up at the idea of you singing Eurythmics and Culture Club to Julian. He will be all set to watch I Love the 80s reruns with you on VH1. :lol
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I don't know many children's songs either. It was always embarrassing when I went to a playgroup or something.

I say sing whatever you like. I made up a song for Aidan to encourage him to sleep. It was special to me, and when I think about it it always makes me smile.
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Aimie
I ate your cat!!!

Post by Aimie »

I too, do not know the words to any children's songs.... LOL. :)

I have subjected Keira to a lot of bad singing though. She actually signed 'done' twice when I was singing once and she was just tiny. :sad:
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Aimie wrote: I have subjected Keira to a lot of bad singing though. She actually signed 'done' twice when I was singing once and she was just tiny. :sad:
Wait, Keira knows sign language????
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Aimie wrote: I have subjected Keira to a lot of bad singing though. She actually signed 'done' twice when I was singing once and she was just tiny. :sad:
:rofl Aidan told me to "shhhh!" before.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I sing the lullabye you posted with some of those words and some made up to Evan.

And Jon's is Braham's Lullaby also with made up words.

I do know most other kids songs b/c my Mom had a daycare.
Aimie
I ate your cat!!!

Post by Aimie »

Lady Bug wrote:
Wait, Keira knows sign language????
Just when she was little. We did signs with her at 8 months, so she could tell us when she wanted milk, a diaper change, or to go home... that kind of stuff. The only problem was that she started talking a lot early, so I didn't get to use signs as much as I wanted. They were fun! :) The 'done' at the singing, totally hurt my feelings though, hee hee.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Wow - I've heard of that . . . I love sign language and I think I'd like to try that with my kids (y'know, when I have some)!
Aimie
I ate your cat!!!

Post by Aimie »

Cool. You'll love it Lady Bug. :)
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Aimie wrote:I too, do not know the words to any children's songs.... LOL. :)

I have subjected Keira to a lot of bad singing though. She actually signed 'done' twice when I was singing once and she was just tiny. :sad:
:spit :giggle

When did you start sign language?
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

We started sign language with Aidan when he was 4 or 5 months old, but we were not consistent. We use signs now (started last spring) for certain things to help encourage him to talk.
Aimie
I ate your cat!!!

Post by Aimie »

I think we started at 7 months? She picked it up at 8 months or so. It was AWESOME! At a store, she would sign done, rather than cry. Same thing when she wanted milk. It was a fun way to interact with her too. I watched the cutest video on learning how to sign with your baby - http://www.sign2me.com/swyb.php

Older toddlers have fun with it too. I think I'll start doing a few more signs with Keira for fun. Lately we've done the sign for help and teething, and that's it.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

My mom has told me that she just sang whatever she was listening to at the time (like on the radio) but never sang baby songs to me. And I turned out just fine with fabulous taste in music!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by Blush on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

There are some lyrics here. http://www.babycenter.com/general/toolscalcs/6728.html

I remember my aunt singing Christmas carols to her boys because they were the only non-radio songs she knew the words to.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

The best kid's CD ever is Elmopalooza. :) It has all your favourite Sesame Street characters singing songs and includes my personal favourite: "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" :hyper
Last edited by Crystal Meth on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Aimie
I ate your cat!!!

Post by Aimie »

Crystal Meth wrote:The best kid's CD ever is Elmopalooza. :) It has all your favourite Sesame Street characters singing songs and includes my personal favourite: "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" :hyper
I highly recommend the Elmocize DVD. Good times. :) I like "Workout in a Chair" and "Elbows and Knees".
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Christian talked REALLY late and he knew "please" and "thank you" in sign language. I decided that even if he didn't talk, he was gonna have some damn manners.
:lol

That's how things are with Miss K, my friend's 21 month old. She's bigger into the crying and pointing, and she doesn't speak a lot (or rather she does, but it's harder to hear her over the din of the 3 older kids) but she can sign her please and thank-you!