Poll: Things People Should Stop Saying

Where teh funnay is kept!
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

curvyred wrote:Orientated instead of oriented.
OH! Along the same lines, conversated instead of conversed. *twitch*
aly

Post by aly »

Jax wrote:Sidenote on the being tired thing:

In law school, this girl would always come up and ask me how I was. I'd say "fine" 'cause I didn't know her very well. She would then ALWAYS proceed to tell me I looked tired. Fucker. I felt like smacking her in the face. How rude.
I wrote a rant in my journal once about people who always have to remark, "Oh, you look tired." It's my least favorite of the masked compliments/expressions of concern.
jad
At this point, you may need to consider a blog.

Post by jad »

Irregardless is not a real word! I've heard it and seen it written so may times that it makes me nuts. It's with regard or regardless, it seems that it may be mixed up with irrespective. Well... irregardless of it being right or wrong, it's "Wrong."

And ...

I know that many people don't get this right, but it's something I notice.

"I" is not always the correct useage. If you can use 'me' in the sentence, then it's proper to use it like example #2

Example #1
Donna and I are going to the store...
I am going to the store...

Example #2
Would you like to go to the store with Carol and me?
Would you like to go to the store with me?

In news casts, they'll say, "Please join Mark and me when we return", this is correct. To use "I" they'd need to say "Mark and I will return after this break", or something like that.

This morning I got into an argument with someone that wanted me to fill up the coffee pot with water, but they didn't ask me, they said "You can't fill that up for me can you?". Well of course I can, why didn't you just ask me to fill it up, don't challenge me.

If you want me to do something for you, don't say something like "You want to fill this up for me?", well I may not want to but if you say"would you fill this up for me?", I would even if I didn't want to do it.

Maybe I have some issues... Oh, wait, are ellipses supposed to be in three? Many people use lots of them.........
''Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.'' - Will Rodgers
Kelly
Shoulder Eater

Post by Kelly »

oh irregardless. :tearhair that drives me bonkers. Regardless already means without regard so if you the ir to it you change the meaning back to with regard.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Silvia, I was supposed to have a meeting with someone named Silvia today, but she called me half an hour late for a 45 minute meeting, so I bailed. She is the bane of my existence. But don't worry, I won't take it out on you.
:lol Oh good. Why is her name with an i?

And Aly, yeah, it's a threadjack :booty
LauraLowEnd
3 Foot Scab

Post by LauraLowEnd »

jad wrote:If you want me to do something for you, don't say something like "You want to fill this up for me?", well I may not want to but if you say"would you fill this up for me?", I would even if I didn't want to do it.
i totally agree. in fact, i hate "office slang" a lot, even though i know i'm guilty of using it myself. "if you could ______ (fix the TPS reports, set up that worksheet, etc.), that'd be _____ (great, just terrif, etc.)." i know this kind of speech is used to make the request sound a little more friendly and polite, but it's irritating to me. just ask!

everybody around here thanks each other for EVERYTHING. there's no need to thank me for doing my job! if i go above and beyond, then yes, a "thank you" is appreciated. but if i hand you a stack of paper for you to look through, i'm SURE you're not thankful for it. :lol

i think office slang should become a lot more klingon-esque.
"laura."
"what do you want?"
"here is the information. make it into a table."
"it will be done."

no more pussyfooting around. 8)
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

*embarrassing question*

I always get confused as to when to use "IT'S" and "ITS" - can someone clarify?
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

"it's" = it is

its = possessive
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

"Its" is used in cases of ownership. i.e. "The puppy was chasing its tail." "Marie's peanut is kicking its little butt off in her tummy." "It's" is a contraction of "it is."

If you can't say "it is", then you don't need an apostrophe. (i.e. You obviously can't say "The peanut is kicking it is butt off.")

I'm glad someone brought that up, cause it pisses me off! :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Kelly
Shoulder Eater

Post by Kelly »

Laura I always thank the attorneys' secretaries for bringing me documents or doing something I ask them to do. Yes, it's their job. My thank you is more of a "thank you for being polite, doing a good job and not being a total bitch" Becasue I've dealt with bitch secretaries before and they can make your life hell. Politness is dying. Just because its your job to do something doesn't mean your going to actually do it. A lot of people don't perform their job well and avoid their responsibilities. Is it really so bad for people to thank you? :dunno
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

<threadjack>

Silvia, because she's from Costa Rica, same reason yours is spelled with an i (well, not Costa Rica, but you know what I mean).

I feel sorry for her having to visit Toronto in March. At least it's not January. ;)

</threadjack>
aly

Post by aly »

Sílvia wrote:
Silvia, I was supposed to have a meeting with someone named Silvia today, but she called me half an hour late for a 45 minute meeting, so I bailed. She is the bane of my existence. But don't worry, I won't take it out on you.
:lol Oh good. Why is her name with an i?

And Aly, yeah, it's a threadjack :booty
Ok, just making sure. It was just funny how random it was, at least to me. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

And Spudd, you didn't have to go all out and use the Threadjack alerts...I wasn't getting on you or anything...:aww :lol I'm hardly the advocate of forum etiquette. :giggle
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Crystal Meth wrote:"Its" is used in cases of ownership. i.e. "The puppy was chasing its tail." "Marie's peanut is kicking its little butt off in her tummy." "It's" is a contraction of "it is."

If you can't say "it is", then you don't need an apostrophe. (i.e. You obviously can't say "The peanut is kicking it is butt off.")

I'm glad someone brought that up, cause it pisses me off! :lol
It took me 5 words to say this. You are definitely a writer. :yadda

:crystal
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

My explanation was better. :sumo
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

LauraLowEnd
3 Foot Scab

Post by LauraLowEnd »

Kelly wrote:Laura I always thank the attorneys' secretaries for bringing me documents or doing something I ask them to do. Yes, it's their job. My thank you is more of a "thank you for being polite, doing a good job and not being a total bitch" Becasue I've dealt with bitch secretaries before and they can make your life hell. Politness is dying. Just because its your job to do something doesn't mean your going to actually do it. A lot of people don't perform their job well and avoid their responsibilities. Is it really so bad for people to thank you? :dunno
no no; despite my "klingon" thing, i do appreciate politeness. and i thank people for stuff too. i guess my peeve is more for written correspondence. like "attached are the documents you requested. thanks." thanks for what? or "if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. thank you." you're welcome... after all, i did a great deal to... um.... oh yeah, i didn't do anything at all. :shrug

i guess "thank you" wasn't a good example. how about people who say "wonderful" or "great" to EVERYTHING? it's not that great; it's just the next step to getting the job done.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Oh! You know what I hate? When people start a phrase with "I mean"

"Hey Jax, how was your weekend?"
"I mean... it was okay. We just hung out at home..."

Dude, you can't say that if you haven't given us something to refer it to! :angrywife

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Crystal, dh does the "I mean" thing ALL the time! It drives me insane! I've already told him a billion times to stop it. I'm glad I don't have to hear him speak English every day :lol .
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

o sea is "I mean" in Spanish. O sea, it stands for the same thing, it doesn't really mean the same thing. And it is used at the beginning and middle of every sentence. It makes me want to kill myself.

And while I am on Spanish, here people say porfiiis sometimes to be cute, instead of por favor (thanks). I want to kill, kill!