Poll: Things People Should Stop Saying

Where teh funnay is kept!
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Poll: Things People Should Stop Saying

Post by aly »

(Because they're tired, worn out and overused.)

1. Holy [insert relevant thing here] Batman! If I see this in one more blog or on one more message board, I might just do this: :angrywife

2. "So and so called, he wants his so and so back." Replace so and so with whatever. The guy across from me says this to everyone. He's so dumb. He acts like he just heard the joke yesterday and uses it all the time. :roll: Today he told a lady wearing all black that "Johnny Cash called, he wants his color back" and the other day to a guy wearing a sweater, "Bill Cosby called, he wants his sweater back." :tearhair Shut UP YOU!
Last edited by aly on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

:rofl

I'm srue there are others, but I can't think of them right now. Hrmm . . .
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I can't stand it when people cushion everything they say.

"blah blah blah...you know? blah blah blah blah...do you see what I mean? blah blah blah....do you understand my point? blah blah blah...you know what I mean?"

It still bothers me when people mix up lay vs. lie verbs.
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Oh, and my answers do not entirely fit your poll, but I do not care.

:huffy

:lol
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

In general I am very big on grammar and I hate, hate, hate it when people use the wrong parts of speech, noun-verb combinations don't match, etc.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mine are all in Portuguese, but trust me, there are a lot.

Aly, I don't even *live* in an English-speaking country, and I'm sick and tired of the ones you mentioned.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I wish my boss would stop saying "the trouble is" when referring to a challenge. I also really wish he'd stop saying (and writing) "if in the event". It's EITHER "if" OR "in the event". AAARGH!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Oh, and I really need to stop hearing the word bling. I heard two ladies in their 60's talking about getting all "blinged out" at a jewellry booth at the women's show on the weekend.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Hey LB, Jax is talking to you, you big cushioner. ;)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Miss_Skates
Where's the Post?

Post by Miss_Skates »

When people add the word 'of' after 'off' eg 'I borrowed the bag off of Jane' and 'When I was getting off of the bus' Aaahhh It is off the bus! It's fewer words :dunno
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

People who use the word "of" as a verb-- "I could of gone there." It makes me want to lose my mind.
aly

Post by aly »

Lady Bug wrote:In general I am very big on grammar and I hate, hate, hate it when people use the wrong parts of speech, noun-verb combinations don't match, etc.
Oh yeah, I forgot:

3. Anyways :giggle
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Anyhoo. ARGH!!!

Oh yeah, could of gone. WTF?
Suzanne
Grand Postmaster Flex

Post by Suzanne »

Sunflower wrote:
Saying "supposively" instead of supposedly.

TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I almost said "holy cow!" to a Hindu the other day. Oopsy. I should really try to remove that from my vocabulary. I learned in a corporate training that it's actually an offensive statement to Hindus.

I can't think of any good answers to this poll, except for "hawesome", which Wil Wheaton has started using in his blog lately, and which is driving me up the wall every time I read it. Luckily it hasn't spread to real life.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

You know what people should stop saying? "I'm just so stressed..."

I mean, I'm sure they ARE stressed, but so is... I don't know... EVERYONE? Like, hi, welcome to life. You're not unique or special for experiencing stress, and being "stressed" is not an excuse.

Again, not trying to diminish anyone's problems, but I think the phrase itself gets way overused. We're ALL stressed. :dunno
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

aly

Post by aly »

Spudd wrote:I can't think of any good answers to this poll, except for "hawesome", which Wil Wheaton has started using in his blog lately, and which is driving me up the wall every time I read it. Luckily it hasn't spread to real life.
That's probably because it's Wil Wheaton's blog! (that it hasn't spread far yet, I mean) :dweeb
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Spudd wrote: I can't think of any good answers to this poll, except for "hawesome", which Wil Wheaton has started using in his blog lately, and which is driving me up the wall every time I read it. Luckily it hasn't spread to real life.
I noticed that, too! And it drives me insane! Almost as bad as when he kept saying "hella" - yeah, that word went out before he even started using it!
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Orientated instead of oriented.

Hate it.

And I'm a big "holy moly" fan versus "holy cow." Probably equally annoying to all, but not so much to any particular religious group. :)
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I prefer "holy crap" myself :twisted: