Surprise at the Red Cross

Where teh funnay is kept!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Surprise at the Red Cross

Post by Bugsy »

So I gave blood just a couple of hours ago. I was afraid I'd get deferred for low iron (it's happened before plenty), because it's TOM. Not only did I pass, but the drop of blood actually fell to the bottom of the copper sulfate solution! That hasn't happened in about 3 years. They ALWAYS have to centrifuge it...but not this time! I guess eating spinach for breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday and doubling up on my iron pills for the last few days worked! :lol

Now my arm is sore, though, because the nurse missed my vein a couple of times before finding it. :grumble
Wyrd_sister
Me Not Post Much

Post by Wyrd_sister »

Way to go on the iron, there.

I really like donating blood. A tremendously easy way to do something good and the ladies with the needles are always so sweet.

Once I fainted right after I donated and they kept calling me for the next couple of days just to see if I was ok. Nice.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I've never had them test my blood iron levels when donating before. Of course, it's been a few years since I've given blood (can't do it anymore because of my annie) . . . .
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

LB, they didn't prick your finger first? That's weird. There's not much point in drawing two pints that they can't use.

I stopped giving blood because I always faint. Yes, I suck. :worry
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Crystal Meth wrote:LB, they didn't prick your finger first?
Not that I remember :headscratch

I stopped giving blood because I always faint. Yes, I suck. :worry
You faint from loss of blood or because you get sick at the sight of blood?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Loss. I even tried eating TWO breakfasts once before giving, and I still almost fell over after I stood up...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

LB, if it was the Red Cross, they checked your iron before you could donate. They're major sticklers on that one, and their minimum requirement is higher than even the low end of the normal range. I think their minimum is 38%, and normal for women is something like 36-45%.

That's crazy about almost fainting even after eating twice. I've never felt even slightly lightheaded after donating. It's cool that you've tried, though!
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

WTG on the iron!

they took it from a friend's ear one time, because it wasn't good enough from her finger. Come to think of it, maybe it was me.

I can't give blood since I was in Central America and on anti-malarials for a long time. Now having lived out of the country for a long time, they don't want me, either.

But the next time I see a blood drive here in Chile, I'll see if they'll let me. Unless having lived in the states will disqualify me!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I faint before they even get the blood out of me. And each time I have blood taken now it's harder for them because of all the scar tissue from earlier attempts.

Stupid veins!!
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I thought the surprise was going to be that you're pregnant! :grumble (Oops, I mean :yay for you that you're not. But we are due for another pregnancy here. looking around)

Congrats on the iron levels! Can you feel a difference in your energy?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

We're due?? It's been like 90 days since Aimie had hers, Annie. There's nothing wrong with a pregnancy-free board. :giggle

Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Well, we are a group of 20/30 something women. It seems like we don't go very long without someone being pregnant. The last gap was between Beverly/Aly and Marie. That was about 3 months or less.

So yeah. We're due. :lol
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Annie wrote:Well, we are a group of 20/30 something women.
That doesn't *really* mean anything. April, help me out here, LOL.

But if you'd like, I shall send fertility vibes to the sex-having people... :giggle

Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Only send them to the people who want babies though. I don't think Anna would be happy if she got knocked up because of you.
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

not all of the sex havers want fertility, I'm pretty sure. Spoken by a nonsex haver. for the moment....
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

:vibes *vibes to people who want babies in the near future, whoever they may be as they have not necessarily shared this news, and may or may not exist* :vibes

That's a lot of work for one little vibe :worry

Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Yeah, it is.

Anyway, back to April's blood. Yeehaw!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Crystal Meth wrote:
But if you'd like, I shall send fertility vibes to the sex-having people... :giggle
Dear God, NO!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yeah no kidding! I want as many anti-pregnancy vibes as I can get! Jeesh, you guys!

(and actually, I finally called Planned Parenthood today and set up an appointment for an IUD consultation. It's Dec. 6th. :yay)
curvyred
Noodles and Corn

Post by curvyred »

Keep those pregnancy vibes away from me too! :lol Baby vibes yes--pregnancy vibes, no.

Good for you for giving blood--that's great! I should go in--it's been a while.