Frank McCourt, anyone?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Frank McCourt, anyone?

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Teacher Man by him, and I'm loving it. Have you guys read Angela's Ashes or 'Tis? Did you like them? I tried to watch Angela's Ashes once, but I gave up after the third kid died in the first 20 minutes of the movie. But since it was such a huge success, I was wondering if I should give the book a chance. Teacher Man is quite funny.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I listened to the audiobook for Angela's Ashes. I thought it was pretty good, although it was rather depressing. He did do a good job of capturing some of the ways of childhood. And I was riveted wanting to find out how he would overcome all the odds against him.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I read Angela's Ashes. It was for a bookclub and I remember thinking "Ugh, I don't want to read this." and then by the end I was like "I'm so glad I read this!"

It also gave me a mad craving for tea. :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, define "rather depressing". Not as depressing as A Fine Balance, I hope? I usually like books that are considered "too depressing" by other people, but that book brought the whole concept of depressing to a new level. I should have believed you guys. You tried to warn me :giggle

Crystal, that won't happen to me. I hate tea. Ew.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Not as depressing as "A Fine Balance". It kinda has depressing parts, but also cheerful parts, it's not one horrific event after another like AFB was.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

If you want to talk depressing books, "The Year of Magical Thinking" is ripping my insides apart a bit...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks! I might read it.

Crystal, but The Year of Magical Thinking is a different kind of depressing. Ok, the woman lost her husband AND her daughter, what could be worse than that, right? But the absurd sequence of bad events in AFB really bugged me. I think it was the number of bad things that happened to them that pissed me off more than anything. I wanna read The Year... some day.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

well, excuuuuuse me! ;) Hee hee...

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, I'm very picky about my categories of depressing :giggle
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Oooh, a book topic I can contribute to! I've read both "Angela's Ashes" and "'Tis," and I loved them both. I think I read them when they were both pretty new, so it's been a while, but at the time they were some of my favorite books. Sad, yes, but very well-written (from what I remember).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hey April!

I got it from the library on Monday (Angela's Ashes), but I'm still 100 pages from the end of Teacher Man, so I might have to return it. But I might buy it!
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I really loved Angela's Ashes. It's depressing, but worth reading anyway.
Happiness is an inside job.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I started it. I'm on page 62 and I love it already! Yeah, it is depressing, but I still love his style. It's so gripping!

Thanks, guys!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm glad you're enjoying it.