Its Feb - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Its Feb - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm still reading Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst.

I'm also reading Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work. :oops:
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: Its Feb - what are you reading?

Post by Beverly »

I just started Rage by Jonathan Kellerman.
Eponine
Going to Post in a Handbasket

Post by Eponine »

I'm still reading Nineteen Eighty-four. It's taking me awhile due to the new job and just general life craziness. But I'm hoping to finish it this weekend.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Rowan - I've been reading Don't Sweat . . . at Work on and off for a while now. I like it! General craziness with my co-workers is what led me to it - what about you?

Eponine - How are you liking 1984? I've never read it . . . .

I am reading Generation Me about how everyone born after 1970 is pretty much a fucked up narcissist . . . good read *lol*
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished reading Rocky Horror from Concept to Cult. Pretty good overall.

I just started reading The Namsake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I really like it so far. Did anyone see the movie? Was it any good?

I attempted to read Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laughs but I just couldn't get into it.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I just finished The Kalahari Typing School for Men from the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. Now I'm going to start Gone by Jonathan Kellerman.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I just started reading The Namsake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I really like it so far. Did anyone see the movie? Was it any good?
Yes and yes! I loved both the book and the movie!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I really liked the Namesake too. I haven't seen the movie though, but I want to... I love Kal Penn.

I just started "Anne's House of Dreams" by L.M.Montgomery.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just got notice that this book is waiting for me in the library. It's called "The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter," and it's for a 1-credit class I'm taking called Human-Animal Symbiosis (I have to write a paper about it). It should be interesting.
Eponine
Going to Post in a Handbasket

Post by Eponine »

Lady Bug wrote:Eponine - How are you liking 1984? I've never read it . . . .
I am really liking it! It's a little creepy, but it's very good. I hadn't picked it up for awhile because I've been insanely busy with my new job. But I was able to read quite a bit of it last night again, and it's great.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. Its about a school for girls (on a lake obviously) where some of the students have drowned both years ago and present day and how these 2 instances are linked. I like it.

I need to get to the library today to stock up again.
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I'm reading Heat, a book about apprenticing to a famous and somewhat crazy Italian Chef (non fiction). It's by Bill Buford, a criticallly acclaimed writer, and I just noticed it's a national bestseller. I'm about 60 pages in, and it's pretty good. I also read the Mammoth Book of Polar Explorations and really liked that, too.

And I'm not sure I've ever posted in this part of the board before. How fun. I read The Namesake and liked it. I highly recommend the Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee, if you like Indian women writers. It's a book of short stories.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I haven't been able to read much in the past few days, but I've gotten started on Affinity by Sarah Waters. I've also read a few pages of 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman. Its about a school for girls (on a lake obviously) where some of the students have drowned both years ago and present day and how these 2 instances are linked. I like it.
Ooh, I liked that book! You can see what the big surprise will be, but it's still worth it.

Beverly, I'm in awe that you're reading at all. It must be great to have that much experience with babies!

As for me, I'm reading my emails when I have time. And bits of baby books also when I have time.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Silvia - I did like Lake. Definitely worth my time.

I'm reading Gravedigger's Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. I like it but its way depressing....my reading speed has definitely slowed because of it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

kayley wrote:I'm reading Heat, a book about apprenticing to a famous and somewhat crazy Italian Chef (non fiction). It's by Bill Buford, a criticallly acclaimed writer, and I just noticed it's a national bestseller. I'm about 60 pages in, and it's pretty good. I also read the Mammoth Book of Polar Explorations and really liked that, too.
I loved Heat. Another really great book in that vein is Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Pretty true to what goes on in actual kitchen - very entertaining.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I just finished Affinity ... wow, that was something! I'm not sure if I can really say I *liked* it, but it was good and well-written. Definitely one of those books that stays with you.

I've moved on now to something "lighter" -- a Jonathan Kellerman detective novel, Obsession. :lol
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Beverly - I bow down to you in having any time in your life right now to read.

*shakes head*

I just finished Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst - it was ok. REally short. Not sure what's up next. I literally just finished it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading The Godmother by Carrie Adams. I'd classify it as "smart chick-lit". It's really quite good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading Mother Shock:http://www.amazon.com/Mother-Shock-Lovi ... 213&sr=1-1, which Beverly was kind enough to send me. I'm loving it!

PS: how do you make a link on this board?