It's September - Whatcha Readin?

Moderator: Malanee

Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Re: It's September - Whatcha Readin?

Post by Crystal Meth »

Bugsy wrote: It's called "The Stone Angel" and is by Margaret Laurence.
Did you know she is from Manitoba? :smug
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I did, actually, but I had forgotten already. It's even set in the plains of Canada, right?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

But we don't say "plains", we say "prairies." :awesome

(on reflection, I hope that doesn't sound snotty. :paranoid)

Anyway, good book!
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

UGH I hated The Stone Angel (sorry Crystal). I think if I hadn't been forced to read it in Grade 13 English, or taught by anyone other than the teacher I had I may have enjoyed it. Hagar pissed me off.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Crystal Meth wrote:I know. :lol I thought we agreed on Jhumpa Lahiri but that was like the only one EVER.

As long as you buy my book (if I ever write one) and tell me you like it (even if you don't), we're all good. :awesome
Oh yeah, I knew there was one :lol Although I'm not sure we've read the same book by her. I've only read The Namesake, and I remember you'd only read the short story book (Interpreter of Maladies?) a while ago. Have you read The Namesake yet?

And of course I'll read and love your book! :mrgreen:
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Prairies, roger. Not offensive, don't worry.

Hagar pissed you off, eh Blush? Since I've only just finished chapter 2, she hasn't bugged me yet...but we'll see. Also, we're reading it from a nursing standpoint, obviously, so we'll see how that goes. It kind of reminds me of last fall semester, when my clinical teacher took us to the art museum for a day. We looked at all these different works of art and had to give them nursing diagnoses. Like "ineffective coping related to ________" or "social isolation related to _____" or "readiness for enhanced self-concept related to _____." Those probably sound really weird to you guys, but it was a cool experience. SO much better than just sitting in a lecture hall blah blah blah.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Yes, I read the Namesake a while ago! I liked that one too. I liked the short stories better, but everything she writes is stinking brilliant.

I wanted her newest one to come out in paperback so I can buy it.

:awesome