It's January! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

It's January! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I started Jennifer Weiner's Little Earthquakes yesterday. I'm enjoying it so far. I love her, but I never wanted to read this one because it's about a bunch of new moms and their babies :giggle Well, I guess I can relate now.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Re: It's January! What are you reading?

Post by Beverly »

I'm reading The Danish Girl by David Ebershoff ... it's good but kind of slow-going.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yesterday I started "The Fire-Dwellers" by Margaret Laurence. It's pretty good so far (only one chapter into it), but it's not grabbing me immediately like "A Jest of God" did. That book was awesome.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Help me, I'm on a book binge! I just bought 2 books with my GC's, got 4 more books from the library, and am planning to take a load to the second-hand store this week to get more. (Watch, I'll take in 20 books and probably get... 3 in exchange. :roll: )

Right now I'm reading "84, Charing Cross Road". It's ADORABLE. It's a series of (real) letters of this woman who wrote to an English bookshop for 20 years.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm on the 4th book in the Trueblood/Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlene Harris. I love them! So funny, romantic, dark, sci/fi all rolled into one. I'm going to be so depressed when I'm done with them.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished reading Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons. Loved it. Next up is the new one by Anita Shreve.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Fire-Dwellers" last night. It was a good book--especially the second half of it--but it just didn't grab me like "A Jest of God" did. Maybe because it was from a mother's perspective? That's probably at least part of the reason. Not sure what I'll read next....
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. After finishing the third Gossip Girl book in a day. I don't think "diverse" even covers my reading tastes. :lol
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm in the middle of "Evita", which is non-fiction about the life of Eva Peron. I was reading it because we were in South America, and it seemed relevant, but honestly it's kinda boring so I may give up. I went to a talk about her on the ship and I've seen the movie so I kinda know how it will turn out.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Oh, and I recently finished "The House of the Spirits" by Isabel Allende. It took me a while to really get into it, but by the end I was totally gripped. It was so neat how she interwove the real Chilean historical events with her characters.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland.

Also, I put 7 books on hold at the library. I think that I think I read faster than I really do. :lol

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I started "Dune" by Frank Herbert a couple days ago. It's good but slow-going so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read Dune years ago, in my late teens I think. I loved it. But I don't know why there are so many damn sequels. I tried reading the first sequel and OMG it was boring. Didn't get any farther than that.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished up all the Sookie Stackhouse novels...all of them were so good and now I'm depressed I'm done with them.

I also just finished The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinetter by Carolly Erickson. It was pretty good - pretty light so I was able to finish it quickly.

Now I'm reading The Omnivores Dilemma and I'm BORED. I don't know that I'm going to make it out of the first chapter.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, The House of the Spirits is one of my favorite books ever. But unlike you, I was gripped from page 1. I still remember the first sentence: Barrabás llegó por vía marítima. Yes, I'm a dork :giggle

I'm finishing Jodi Picoult's Keeping Faith. It's too long. I can't wait to be done with it. And I'm starting to suspect the ending will be stupid again (as in My Sister's Keeper).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Argh. I knew it. Stupid, inconclusive ending.

I started The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón yesterday. No opinion yet, I barely started.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule about Ted bundy
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finsihed Retribution by Julianne Hoffman last night.

Anna, since you like crime novels, you might enjoy it. It's fiction, but I thought it was excellent.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished Retribution (so good!) and started When Madeline was Young by Jane Hamilton last night. I'm also reading a book about giraffes called Tall Blondes by Lynn Sherr.