It's May - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It's May - what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I really liked it. I'm trying to decide whether I want to read the rest or just watch the series on DVD. Thoughts?

I'm currently reading The Woods by Harlan Coben. I just "discovered" him - wow, he's great.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's May - what are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I just finished Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I really liked it. I'm trying to decide whether I want to read the rest or just watch the series on DVD. Thoughts?
I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse novels and loved every single one. I'm dying for the next one to come out. The HBO series is fantastic as well but do not follow the books exactly. I think the first season went through the first 4 books, but I"m not positive. I think Anna Paquin absolutely nails Sookie as she is written in the books.

I'm reading The Making of a Chef by Michale Ruhlman and Henry VIII by Alison Weir. I'm also slowly being worn down by co-workers to read Twilight, though I have resisted thus far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks Mellen. I'm going to see if the library has the 2nd book.

Finished The Woods by Harlan Coben today and started Sandcastles by Luanne Rice. Its ok so far.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just finished "Look Me in the Eye" by Auggesten Burroughs brother, it's his autobiography of living with Aspbergers, it was pretty good

not sure what's next
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

That sounds really interesting, Anna. I will have to add that to my list.

I'm still plowing through Great Expectations (about halfway done now) and Wolves of the Calla (book 5 in the Dark Tower series). WotC was too heavy to bring on my trip (like literally heavy, it's a huge book) so I brought The Devil Wears Prada. I'm finding it to be fairly poorly written, but yet enjoyable. Although, having seen the movie is kind of a bummer since there's not really any suspense.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (two thumbs up!) last night, and am on to The Burnt House by Faye Kellerman today.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just (10 minutes ago) finished Offbeat Bride by Ariel Meadow Stallings, also creator of the Offbeat Bride website (better than indiebride, I find).

I'm also reading Then we came to the end by Joshua Ferris. The description from the library reads: This wickedly funny, big-hearted novel about life in the office signals the arrival of a gloriously talented new writer. The characters in "Then we came to the end" cope with a business downturn in the time-honored way: through gossip, secret romance, elaborate pranks, and increasingly frequent coffee breaks. By day they compete for the best office furniture left behind and try to make sense of the mysterious pro-bono ad campaign that is their only remaining "work."--Publisher

Very timely and truly funny, and it was published in 2007!

ETA I'm also listening to an audio book by Scott McClellan called "What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington's Culture of Deception". McClellan was press secretary and there's a lot of juicy stuff here. He's not the most eloquent reader though.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Blush, I got that McClellan book for DH for xmas. I don't think he's gotten into it yet, though.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Blush! I'm so glad you mentioned that Joshua Ferris book! Several months ago I heard an interview with him on the radio, and I really wanted to read the book, but I was in the car when I was listening and had forgotten his name by the time I was home and could write it down. Is it good so far?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Bev, it's very good. It's odd in that the narrator doesn't offer any details about themselves. I can't tell if it's a man, woman, or what they do. They're just a person who works at this company and describes what's going on. If it were a movie it would be a "mockumentary" and not character-based.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

The boys Got me Always Looking UP by Michael J Fox and i just finished it, it was a nice quick read and made me like him even more
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Did he talk much about his Parkinsons? That's what my mom has, and I was thinking it might be a good book for her, but I'm not sure.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Yep that's pretty much what it's about, but while he does describe some of his trials and tribulations related to having the disease, it also has other stuff in it. His first book is also about Parkinsons. My brother also has it.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading "Son of a Witch", aka the sequel to Wicked. (When I have time to read, that is, which is just on the subway lately...)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Crystal Meth wrote:I'm reading "Son of a Witch", aka the sequel to Wicked. (When I have time to read, that is, which is just on the subway lately...)
I loved Son of a Witch. The most recent one, which I can't remember the name of (it's about the Lion) is just terrible.

I finished the new Sookie Stackhouse novel "Dead and Gone" by Charlaine Harris in about two days. SO GOOD.

I also finally read Twilight. Eh. The first 1/2 of the book was SO horrible - I was skipping entire pages. I did get into it a little towards the end. It's fun fluff I guess. My Dad (yes, my Dad) has all the books so I guess I keep reading for now.

I just picked up "Certain Girls" by Jennifer Weiner tonight. That's going to be my new book to read while I pump.

Blush, I've been thinking about getting "Then we came to the end" for awhile. That might have to be my next book since it's actually good.

Also, I got my mom "Columbine" by (I think) David Cullen. She said it's fantastic so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Then we came to the End" last night. I loved it; it was very different and clever. Now I've started "The Best Day of Someone Else's Life" by Kerry Reichs. So far it's eerily like the movie 27 Dresses, but it was only published last year. :headscratch
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm waiting for Columbine from the library. The author has been posting on librarything lately which is cool.

Recent reads include:
The Pilot's Wife - Anita Shreve
Just One Look - Harlan Coben
Sandcastles - Luanne Rice

I haven't figured out what's next. Probably another Coben.