It's August - what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: It's August - what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I just started "Middlemarch" by George Eliot. I really had no idea what to expect. So far it seems pretty similar to a Jane Austen.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finished up Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, and loved it. Really, it's very good.

Now I'm on to Alice Hoffman's The River King.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I just finshed "Time of my life' by Allison Winnn Scotch and have moved on to "The Last Child" by John Hart. I loved his book "Down River".
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and I'm... uh.... kinda bored. :crystal Crystal and Beverly, does the science fiction story matter for the rest of the story? I wanna cry every time that starts. Iris's story is much more interesting, although it moves too slowly for my taste.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just got The Blind Assassin, which I mooched from someone in Australia. I hope it's good after the amount of money she had to pay to send it to me!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Ooooooh! The Blind Assassin is one of my favorite books EVER! So, so good.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Just finished God Grew Tired of Us about the lost boys of the Sudan (well mostly about one of them) it was very uplifting, hard to start but really makes you grateful for what you have.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

The Last Bridge was great!

Unfortunately the last 2 books I've read have been painful. Intervention by Robin Cook with had glaring scientific errors and was really just pieced together in the end. Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner was really weak.

Currently reading Hide by Lisa Gardner which is good so far - kinda murder/mystery type.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Well, I started reading The Crowning Glory of Calla Lilly Ponder by Rebecca Wells (of Ya ya fame) but I could NOT get into it.

Now I'm reading a memoir called The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose. Kevin went to Liberty--the university that Jerry Falwell founded--undercover to see what it was like. This book is fascinating and kind of scary, and I'm only 50 pages in.
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I finished "The Last Child" by John Hart last night. Really good. I love his writing.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

blush one of the ladies on my other board went to high school with the guy who wrote that book, I want to read it too!
Rachael
My bee is in the hive

Post by Rachael »

I'm reading "The Secret Between Us" by Barbara Delinsky. It's pretty good so far!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Sílvia wrote:I'm reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and I'm... uh.... kinda bored. :crystal Crystal and Beverly, does the science fiction story matter for the rest of the story? I wanna cry every time that starts. Iris's story is much more interesting, although it moves too slowly for my taste.
Ooh, sorry I missed this bit earlier! Yeah, you do kind of need to read the science fiction bit, too. The whole book is a bit of a slow starter, but I really think it's a fantastic read.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'd been meaning to post about it again. It did get better! For me it was after page 180 or so (I'm on page 400 now). There's a lot less of the science fiction story as the book progresses! I know all 3 stories are supposed to be intertwined somehow, but I'm still much more interested in the "real" story.