December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Beverly
Desperate Postwife

December! What are you reading?

Post by Beverly »

I'm still working on Careless in Red, the latest (I think) Inspector Lynley mystery by Elizabeth George. It's very good, but I'm having trouble finding the time to sit and get it read!
Anna
TH Master

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Anna »

I am still reading Before We Were FRee about the 1960s in the Dominican Republic.. I have to finish by tomorrow night b/c it's for book club at Jon's school.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Almost done with "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout. The more I read it, the more I'm enjoying it. In fact, I'm going to go sit down with it right now.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading "One Day" by David Nicholls. Each chapter is a snapshot on July 15 from 1988 on; it follows Dexter and Emma as they lead separate lives. The first bit annoyed me but now I'm getting into it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading My Name is Mary Sutter and loving it. Its the story of a midwife who wants to go to medical school and become a surgeon. The kicker? It takes place during the Civil War. I hate to recommend things before I finish so I'll wait.....
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night I finished "Olive Kitteridge." I really enjoyed this book, even though it was a collection of stories. The stories were all about various residents in this small town, and the main character, Olive, played various-sized roles in each of the stories. It was a good read.

Then last night I started "The Man Who Ate Everything," by Jeffrey Steingarten. He was a lawyer and then became Vogue's food critic, so he made himself get over his weird food hangups/phobias in order to do his job more completely. I'm only a few pages into it, but it seems like it's going to be good. He's already made me laugh, which is a good sign.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Oooh, Rowan that sounds good!

I'm about a 1/4 of the way through The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I've heard wonderful things about it so I hope it picks up soon.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Loved, loved, loved My Name is Mary Sutter. Go out and read it.

Also read This is Where We Live by Janelle Brown which I really liked and breezed through. Recommended.

Not sure what's up next. Need to get cracking in December.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I put My Name is Mary Sutter, Olive Kitteridge, and This is Where We Live all on hold at the library. Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm still slogging through Olympos by Dan Simmons. It's really not a winner; I don't know why I keep reading it. I'm kind of curious how it's going to turn out but I know it won't be worth the slog in the end.

Anyways, two bike touring books just came in for me at the library, so I'll be putting Olympos on hold to read those.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "One Day" by David Nicholls and ended up loving it. Now I've got "Fireworks over Toccoa" by Jeffrey Stepakoff. He used to write for The Wonder Years and Dawson's Creek and it's his first novel.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm having a really good string of reads these days. I"m almost done The False Friend by Myla Goldberg - so far so good! its the story of a woman who's best friend was kidnapped when they were young but years later as an adult she remembers what really happened to her. She goes back to her hometown to confess the truth but nobody believes her. Definitely a quick read....
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Let me retract my excitement for My False Friend. I loved it until the end - it was rushed and I'm not entirely sure what happened. I hate when an author spends so much time on development and then rushes the end. Bah.

Next up is April and Oliver (Tess Callahan?). I'm 2 pages in so no comment yet.

I have to hit the library tonight to return some stuff and I have a few books on hold.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I liked it a lot but I felt like the last few chapters she was just rushing to tie all the story lines together.

OF COURSE about 4 holds all came up at the library at once. I'm most excited to read Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, I love that you read so much historical fiction. That's totally how my holds come in too. What else you got?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Blush wrote:I finished "One Day" by David Nicholls and ended up loving it. Now I've got "Fireworks over Toccoa" by Jeffrey Stepakoff. He used to write for The Wonder Years and Dawson's Creek and it's his first novel.
This book was a waste of time. Not a lot of time, as it's short, but blech.

Now I'm reading Husband and Wife by Leah Stewart.
In this new novel by the celebrated author of The Myth of You and Me, a young mother discovers that her husband's novel about infidelity might be drawn from real life.

Sarah Price is thirty-five years old. She doesn't feel as though she's getting older, but there are some noticeable changes: a hangover after two beers, the stray gray hair, and, most of all, she's called “Mom” by two small children. Always responsible, Sarah traded her MFA for a steady job, which allows her husband, Nathan, to write fiction. But Sarah is happy and she believes Nathan is too, until a truth is revealed: Nathan's upcoming novel, Infidelity, is based in fact.

Suddenly Sarah's world is turned upside down. Adding to her confusion, Nathan abdicates responsibility for the fate of their relationship and of his novel's publication—a financial lifesaver they have been depending upon—leaving both in Sarah's hands.
So far it's good.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I finally finished the Elizabeth George book. It was good, like they always are, but her writing style grated on me at some points, which I don't remember from past books.

Now I've started Alice Hoffman's Local Girls. I haven't read enough yet to get a feel for it, but I usually like her books.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Metal Cowboy" by Joe Kurmaskie. It's a bike touring book. It's really good! It's more of a series of vignettes than an actual ongoing plot. The vignettes are mostly amusing, and it's really well written.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Two Lives of Miss Charlotte Merryweather by Alexandra Potter. It's silly at best and incredibly predictable. Remind me not to read chick lit ever again. Bridget Jones was nice. The billions that followed it, not so much. They never fail to disappoint me. The only reason I'm reading it is because I had nothing else until I hit the bookstore on Saturday and now I'm too close to the end. Also, here's a little tip that I'll probably email the publisher: if you wanna make jokes using other cultures, make sure you research them first. Pablo is NOT a Portuguese name, we do NOT speak Spanish In Brazil, and salsa is NOT a Brazilian rhythm. Of course that didn't help me enjoy the book.

Next I'll start something by Sophie Hannah. I forgot the title. I'm not much of a crime fiction reader, but this one looks promising.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I *loved* Cleopatra: A Life. Wonderful detail.

My other holds that came up were The Help by Kathryn Stockett (boring, predictable), Meeks: A Novel by Julia Holmes (completely strange, I read it 3x and I'm still not sure I grasped the whole story), and They call me Baba Booey by Gary Dell'Abate with Chad Millman (I didn't finish it, it was boring)

I'm going to start All the devils are here : the hidden history of the financial crisis by: Bethany McLean and Joe Nocera tomorrow.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Metal Cowboy, it was good as bike touring books go.

Now I've started Olive Kitteridge. It's a little strange, but I think I like it. Except for one story where at the end I was like, WTF? I sooo did not get it.