December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

Mellen, you thought The Help was boring and predictable? God, that book made me cry my eyes out.

Spudd, it's definitely kind of a strange book, and some stories are better than others...but I found myself liking it more and more as the book progressed. Which story did you not understand?

I'm still working on "The Man Who Ate Everything." It's good but long, and I haven't had much free time for reading.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, you thought The Help was boring and predictable? God, that book made me cry my eyes out.
Yeah, I was shocked by her comment too! Guess we're all different :)

I'm still reading The Other Half Lives by Sophie Hannah. She took her sweet time getting into the story, but now things seem to be picking up (after page 200). Well, better late than never.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Bugsy, the one... I can't even remember what it was mainly about. I think the character's name is April? Anyways, it ends by talking about bruises on her mother's arms. And I had no clue why they brought that up, it seemed unrelated to everything.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Don't mind me, guys. I was in a funk when I tried to "The Help" and people at work had been harping on me to read it. I didn't finish it. Maybe I need to give it another go?

I got the book "Matched" as a gift for a family member. I'm debating if I can finish it by Christmas! Its a YA novel in the same vein as The Hunger Games.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

On vacation I read "My Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal" by Russell Brand. The guy is witty.

Also I read The Time Traveler's Wife. I've had a copy of this for a while as my MIL passed it on from my SIL. I was saving it for a trip where I could take it, read it and leave it. I really enjoyed it and can't believe I hadn't read it sooner.

I also read some dumbass mystery with the same goal. I bet whoever picks that up at the resort library regrets it. I can't even remember the name.

And then I read Adam Carolla's "In 50 Years We'll all be Chicks". Rich bought it and read it and then I read it (in a day, on the way home). He was hesitant to give it to me as some of the parts are not kind to women (maybe a page, total) but it really was hilarious. I was laughing out loud.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Blush wrote:
And then I read Adam Carolla's "In 50 Years We'll all be Chicks". Rich bought it and read it and then I read it (in a day, on the way home). He was hesitant to give it to me as some of the parts are not kind to women (maybe a page, total) but it really was hilarious. I was laughing out loud.
I'm going to grab this the next time I'm at the library. I was wondering if it was any good or not!
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm reading Isle of Palms by Dorothea Benton Frank. It's a book that my mom left here this summer, and it's okay. So far it's your typical light Southern fiction that's trying to be Pat Conroy or something and shooting pretty wide of the mark. Still, it's not bad for an easy read.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Finished Olive Kitteridge over the weekend, and started Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne. It's a decent read, but nothing great. I quite enjoyed Olive Kitteridge.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Spudd, I'm glad you enjoyed Olive Kitteridge! :awesome It's something I'd probably hesitate to recommend to most people, because it is kind of a weird book...but yeah, it was really quite good.

I'm only about 2/3 through "The Man Who Ate Everything," so I definitely won't be finishing it this year. It's not quite as good as expected, but it's decent and enjoyable.