January! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: January! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished the Tana French book and will be looking for more of her stuff.

For a complete change of pace I have the new Fannie Flagg: "I Still Dream About You".
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished Sworn to Silence by Linday Castillo. Nice little murder mystery with a bit of Amish thrown in. I like the lead character - Kate Somethingorother who used to be Amish and is now the Chief of Police in the town she grew up in (1/2 amish and 1/2 "English"). There is another in the series that I will pick up.

Not sure what's next. I'm making my way through the Beck Diet Solution but its a re-read.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished "I Still Dream About You" by Fannie Flagg. Cute, but it was no Fried Green Tomatoes.

I have a few at home and will read whichever one is due first.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I got The Pillars of the Earth from the library, so that's my current read. And then, like a day after I picked it up, another book came in for me. There's no way I can finish them both in time.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Is the other one a high demand book, Spudd? I bet you'd be able to renew Pillars of the Earth so you could read the other one first.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan - good in a weird way. It's about music intertwining with life and peoples back stories....I liked it.

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhonda Janzen - Was good but was more fluffy than I expected

How to sew a button : and other nifty things your grandmother knew by Erin Bried - Lots of long lost tips on cooking, saving money, sewing, cleaning, etc.

Of course I just got a bunch of holds in all at once. Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have: The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, The Diviner's Tale by Bradford Morrow, American uprising : the untold story of America's largest slave revolt by Daniel Rasmussen and The Panic Virus : a true story of medicine, science, and fear by Seth Mnookin.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I vote for the Weird Sisters - I've heard great things about it and our library doesn't even have it yet. Wah!

That is...if I get a vote. :)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan I was swaying toward The Weird Sisters anyway so I will go with that first!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yay! That way if its good, I can harass the library to get it. :D
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just started reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender. It's about a girl who can taste the emotion the cook/baker was feeling when he/she made certain foods. Sounds weird but I like the way she writes.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

That sounds interesting, Blush. Let me know how you liked it when you finish it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

So I finished "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" (about an hour ago) and I think it is one of those books that will stick with me for a while. I really liked the writing style of the author; I even stopped and re-read a few lines just because I liked how she described things. Now, it is a little...weird...for lack of a better word. You have to suspend disbelief a bit but she does make events seem true and real.