April! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: April! What are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

Finally finished "The Blind Assassin," and...I didn't love it. :| I'm bummed, because the other novels of hers that I've read were so good ("Cat's Eye," "Alias Grace," and "The Robber Bride"). This one just didn't do it for me. :shrug

Just requested a few new ones from the library, so we'll see what comes in first. Otherwise I'll start something I have here on the shelf.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I took a break on the Swedish book since it doesn't really seem like one to read in fits and starts, and that's what I've got to work with these days. I started instead on Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. She's a British mystery writer whom I haven't read before. So far it's really good. A later book in the series is called Started Early, Took My Dog, which I think is maybe the most awesome title ever (in fact, it's why I started reading her). :D
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Foursome today. Yawn.

Now I have The Four Mrs. Bradwells by Meg Waite Clayton. I'm expecting a bit of fluff but we'll see.

Edit: Ok, not fluffy; I got my authors confused. This is about 4 middle aged women who went to law school together. At the beginning of the book one of them is being vetted for the Supreme Court. Somehow there's a secret from the past involved.
Last edited by Blush on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey was ok........it had it's moments.

I got wrapped up reading about the upcoming royal wedding and then into something about Princess Diana so now I'm reading The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown :paranoid I have to say I'm only about 150 pages in but it's good and interesting.

I picked up Black Heels to Tractor Wheels ,by Ree Drummond the woman who runs http://www.thepioneerwoman.com. Oy. It's PAINFUL so far, very over the top. I think she's cute and I love her site and recipes but I don't know if I'm going to make it through this book.

I also have Two Kisses for Maddy by Matt Logelin. I kind of don't want to read it because it's going to make me cry.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I started "The Time-Traveler's Wife" last night (yes, I'm late to the game on this one!). Not even through the first chapter, but it already has me intrigued. Several of you guys enjoyed this book, didn't you?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Yep! I thought it was really good.

I'm still listening to "Room" - I only get to listen to audiobooks when I don't bike to work, which is rare.

I got "Swamplandia!" from the library. Odd book, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yes, Bugsy, there are lots of fans around here! I hope you like it, but don't watch the movie. It SUCKS.

I finished The Post-Birthday World and I did like parts of it, but it was too long and rambly. One of those cases where you'd have a much better book had it been 2/3 shorter.

Now I'm reading Jennifer Weiner's Best Friends Forever and it's not gripping me at all. I always like her books from the very beginning, but this one's just boring.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "Swamplandia!", by Karen Russell. Interesting book. I don't know if I'd recommend it. I did find it gripping, but yet I didn't really enjoy it.