July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: July! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I read Swamplandia! too, it was kind of strange, but I enjoyed it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished my Jane Green book last night and started on one by Cathy Kelly, of Irish chick-lit fame. I can't make my brain work too hard in this heat.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read The East End Witches by Melissa De La Cruz today. It was decent. It's another witches/vampires/warlocks book but I did enjoy it. Apparently she wrote the "Blue Bloods" series, I've never read it though this is clearly setting up to be another series as the last paragraph ended in a cliffhanger.

Up next is The Hypnotist by Lars Keplar.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Wrong Mother yesterday and found it VERY gripping. I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I was hooked. That said, if you're not sure you don't want kids, you might wanna skip it. If you already have them or are sure you don't want them, it's fine. There are parts of what is supposedly a mother's diary in the book that are disturbing to say the least. The woman hates being a mom. Yet you wanna know how it will turn out.

Then I started Night Watch by Sarah Waters. Beverly, you said you loved this one, right? I'm only 4 or 5 pages in, so no opinion yet, but I'm hopeful!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I HATED The Hypnotist by Lars Keplar. Rambling story, didn't make a whole lot of sense. Way too many storylines as well.

I'm about 1/4 of the way into Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner. Pretty good so far.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Yep, Sílvia, I thought it was the best of her books -- very good!

I finished Water for Elephants and LOVED it. I couldn't put it down. Now I'm getting ready to start The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca Wells.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Swamplandia! was good but weird at times.

In Zanesville was a recommendation from a daily book email I get. It was a story about 2 teenage girls (in the late 1970s?). Easy read with a few parts that I laughed out loud.

I read Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich which is a new character series for her. It was an easy entertaining read that I whipped through in ~2 hours last night. If you're looking for something light this would be a good one. It features Diesel who is in her Number Series books.

Not sure what's next on the pile....
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read The Cradle by Patrick Somerville last night. It was soooo good. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. Its hard to describe it without giving it all away but it revolves around a married pregnant couple and in particular the husband's journey to find the wife an old cradle that she *has* to have. Very character driven.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I know it's August, but this belongs to July: I gave up on The Night Watch. I was hating it (sorry, Beverly ;)). Thank God for wikipedia summaries. You don't have to suffer through a book you don't like anymore just to find out what happens. Then I started The girl who fell from the sky http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Fell-Sky ... 497&sr=1-1.