November! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

November! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm still on The Girl Who Played with Fire. Last night was Trick or Treating so no time to read. Hopefully will finish tonight!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: November! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I read Chasing Aphrodite: the hunt for looted antiquities at the world's richest museum by Jason Felch. It was really engaging! And fairly surprising regarding how many different pieces are stolen / looted and then smuggled out of their country of origin.

Right now I'm about halfway through Breakaway: the inside story of the Pittsburgh Penguins Rebirth by Andrew Conte. It's the "backroom story" of all the crap that went on when the Pens were trying to get a new arena built here.

Reamde by Neal Stephenson is also on my to read pile.

I also have the first few The Walking Dead grahpic novels waiting for me at the library. I keep hearing how good they are but I'm not a graphic novel/comic type of person so I'm not sure I'll like them.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I just finished "I Know This Much is True." Loved it! I'm trying to get Jason to read it; I think he'd relate to & maybe learn from some of the content about getting over anger. I'm also listening to "Half-Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls. It's ok so far but isn't gripping me like "The Glass Castle" did.

Next up is probably "Game of Thrones." Jason's just finishing the 3rd in the series and is harassing me to give it a try.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished The Girl Who Played with Fire. Thumbs up. Its funny though sometimes you see where the translation is just awkward. I don't normally read translated books so it may be more obvious for me. I've got the 3rd in my pile from the library but there's a few I need to tackle first.

Last night I also finished up a book on "rebooting your career". It wasn't very good but I felt I needed to finish it in case there was some nugget I could salvage from it. Um...not.

Next up I think is Triangles by Ellen Hopkins. This is her first book for adults. Typically she writes YA prose. I didn't think I would like the prose format but its really engaging. I've read everything I can get my hands on from her. They're really a fast read too.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Can I just say that I'm sad that I have only 4 holds left at the library? I stopped requesting holds a while back because I knew I wouldn't be here to get them. Getting a library card in Kincardine will be one of the first things I do. I'm seriously getting teary thinking "what if the library there sucks"? Seriously. And what if I get snowed in for days and I can't GET THERE? I know I have my PlayBook and I can read on there but it's still not the same as a book.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I think they can do inter-library loan if you want a book they don't have. I don't know the logistics of that but I think it's pretty easy.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush...I would have the same concerns. In CT, you can go to any state library as long as you hold a library card in your town/city. My city's library is great but is downtown, no parking, out of the way but the next town over is decent and has great parking. There is also interlibrary loan at the library in the town I work in and it works pretty easily - put the book on hold, email when its in, go pick up and drop off at the library of your choice.

Hope your library is awesome! You never know sometimes the smaller towns can surprise you (and they may not be as busy!).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Well, I did find out that it is a county system, and I *can* place holds online, and if they don't have an item in the county they are also in an Inter-Library system. Also I found out that the one in the town closest to me is open Tuesday to Sunday! Shorter hours than here, but more days. As soon as we are done the home inspection and get the mailbox set up, I will change the address on my driver's license so I can get a card ASAP.

In other news, I finished The Good Daughters and while it was good, it did not move me immensely.

I'm about to start The Queen of Palymyra by Minrose Gwin. Anybody read it?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished listening to "Half-Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls. It was good, but like I said before, it didn't grip me nearly as much as "The Glass Castle" did. I just requested "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson for Jason and me to listen to on our drive to my hometown for Thanksgiving.

I've read the prologue of "A Game of Thrones" and will likely try to get into it more later tonight (working 3rd shift means needing a variety of stay-awake tools).

Silvia, what was it that bothered you about "I Know This Much is True"?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy, I started a thread about it ;).

I've been reading only Brazilian and Portuguese books lately. None of which have been translated into English. Bah. The one I'm finishing now is by a Portuguese guy named João Tordo. It's fantastic and he's still quite young for a writer (36), and this book got an award, so I thinkit might be translated into English. Stay tuned, it's worth it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Queen of Palmyra this morning. It was told from the point of view of a young girl in Mississippi in the 60's. It was pretty moving, and there were interesting turns of phrase, which I always like. I'm sure I would have liked it even more if I'd read it when I don't have 4 million lists running through my head all the time.

I will have to return my other two library books unread. :(
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Reamde by Neal Stephenson - Totally gave up on this. Long meadering sentences and it was like 800 pages. No thank you.

I read the Walking Dead - Compendium One, which is the first first 8 books (graphic novels?) in the series. I'm not usually one for graphic novels/comics but it was really good, but extremely dark.

A Stolen Life: a memoir - Jaycee Dugard - Such a sad book, I ended up skimming it.

Zone One - Colson Whitehead - it's about a post-apocalyptic(sp) America. It was so close to being decent....but just wasn't.

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings
- Alison Weir. Good read! I love all of Alison Weir's books though.

Next up: Out of Oz: The final volume in the Wicked Years - Gregory Maquire - the 3rd book in this series SUCKED but I feel like I should give this one a go anyway.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm in the middle of "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon. Last night there was a REALLY intense scene. Overall I'm not loving the book but it's okay. I guess I was hoping for more (he's the same guy who wrote The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time).
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Since I had a super long lunch I finished "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriaty and really enjoyed it. Kinda of fluffy but very engaging. I think few others have read it?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yep, I read it and enjoyed it!