December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Need to start a new book...

Just thought I would put in a placeholder.

Is it possible to read 18 books this month so that I can hit 100 books this year? Very unlikely I think.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything" (or something like that, I can't remember exactly :lol). So far he has discussed some Russian dude with an incredible memory from the 50's but hasn't really gotten to giving any actual memory tips yet. It's well-written though, so it's a good read.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd, I've heard good things about that book. You'll have to let me know how it is once you're done (if you remember). :)
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

That sounds interesting, Spudd.

Jason and I are partway through listening to "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson on audiobook. We listened on the way to and from my hometown for Thanksgiving; we're heading up there again this Sunday, so we'll finish it up then. It's really interesting, and it's cool because the author is the narrator. We're both really enjoying it.

I'm roughly 10 chapters into the first "A Game of Thrones" book, and it's just not gripping me. I need to push through another maybe 15ish chapters before giving up, though, because Jason keeps saying that it's slow to get started.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I listened to the audiobook of "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson years ago, and he was the narrator for that one too. He's got such a good reading voice. And he's so funny! I really enjoyed that.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I just finished The Weight of Heaven by Thrity Umrigar (sp??). Anyone read it? I loved it. I didn't wanna read it at first because it's about a couple who's lost their only child, but then I came across it again months later and bought it. It's obviously super sad and the ending is appalling and controversial (lots of amazon readers complaining about it), but I still think it's a great story. It's one of those books that will stay with me forever, that's for sure.

Then I went to the store and bought 2 others by her, The Space Between Us and .... I don't remember the other one. You can tell the woman has made an impression on me.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Just finished "I Am J" which is a YA novel about a transboy. Really interesting and sad. It's something I really never thought about.

Not sure what's next on the pile. I still have the 3rd "Girl Who..." but I have to be in the mood for that. Movie for the 1st in the series comes out Dec 21st and I've already requested a date night! Wee! Now, if I can only figure out how to go to the movies without getting the popcorn.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have to recommend Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Its a YA read but I liked it very much. Inside of the book there are retro pics which really tie the story together.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I have to recommend Mrs. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Its a YA read but I liked it very much. Inside of the book there are retro pics which really tie the story together.
Loved that book!

I just finished Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie. It was fantastic. I've put his previous books on the Romanovs on my "to read" list.