It's October...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: It's October...what are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Annie wrote:I'm reading "State of Wonder" by Ann Patchett. SO GOOD.

I LOVED that book!! Sil, there are but it isn't boring in any way. It's an excellent read.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'll admit that I really like classic Americana-lit (if that's such a thing, haha). Set on farms, rural lands. So the idea of something set in the Amazon was a major gamble for me. I was worried it wouldn't be relatable. But I'm finding it fascinating! It's really a good book and the setting is such a central character, in a good way.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I finished up House Rules by Jodi PIcoult. First of her books I didn't hate the ending of in a LONG time or ever.

I didn't love the way the young man with Aspergers was portrayed but I also appreciated the explanations in some ways.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen and Annie, ok, I'll pick it up next time, then!

Anna, I did wonder if her depiction of tantrums and stuff like that wasn't a liiittle over the top. I didn't hate the ending either, but I wanted more of a definition.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Gone Girl today. I really liked it up till the ending... Wasn't that thrilled with how it ended.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I read a short little self-helpy/business skillsy type book the other day, "The Go-Giver" by Bob Burg and John David Mann; it was recommended by my former mentor at work. I liked it pretty well and did write down the 5 "rules" that were discussed...I can see how keeping them in mind could be helpful.

I'm listening to "A Child Called It" by David Pelzer. It's pretty horrific what happened to that poor boy.

And I'm about to go see what looks interesting from my at-home bookshelf. There are several there that I haven't read.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Bugsy I read that a long time ago, it was so horrible, not the book what happened.

Silvia, the tantrums we don't have at our house but they are very real and described well, although I think of them as happening more among those with lower functioning Autism not Aspergers. What I had a hard time with was the only thinking of yourself part. I mean I've met Evan and I know he does have some of those traits, but I do think he cares at least a little about other people. Not like a normal person would, but a bit. That was the hard part for me to swallow.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Finished "State of Wonder". Overall I really liked the book a lot. However...spoilers ahead...

I'm sort of "eh" on the ending. That Anders actually didn't die, I guess I can buy that but it's a stretch and I think it's an easy out. It's like the TV cliche of it all being a dream. But the thing that really seemed off to me was them hooking up. I mean, wha?? I can understand how an intimate bond could form over a situation that stressful and traumatic, but why did the author take it all the way to sex.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished listening to "A Child Called 'It'." It was a good book, but shit was it sad. Because I'll mainly be listening to audiobooks on my commute and will be dealing with lots of patients in chronic pain all day at work, I think I need some recommendations for books that are much more lighthearted. Maybe some quality chick-lit? Memoirs are nice for audiobooks too but tend to be sad (at least the ones I've listened to). Any other suggestions for stuff that's not total fluff but is lighthearted?
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

Any other suggestions for stuff that's not total fluff but is lighthearted?
I wish I had some but I seem to only read depressing books!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote: Any other suggestions for stuff that's not total fluff but is lighthearted?
How about "Where'd You Go, Bernadette?", I loved that book. Funny book with great writing.

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin. It's ok....I keep reading this is the hardest book to get through, and I'd agree so far.

I also have: The Casual Vacancy, Mrs Queen Takes the Train and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a ship of her own making.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Ditto Bernadette...really fun and well written. :)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Bugsy, I agree with the Bernadette suggestion. One of my faves of this year! Fannie Flagg's books also come to mind (she wrote Fried Green Tomatoes among others--all hilarious and touching), as well as those by Adriana Trigiani (Big Stone Gap etc). As for memoirs I loved Tina Fey's Bossypants.

I finished up Burnt Mountain by Anne Rivers Siddons last night. It was good but not my favourite of hers. It seemed languorous for the first 85% and then sped off into a hurried climax and chopped off ending.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Thank you! I am #40-something on the hold list for Where'd You Go, Bernadette?, and Big Stone Gap should be at my library branch early next week--maybe even by Saturday.