It' December...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

It' December...what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Dec already??? Ack!

I'm *still* reading Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. It's dragging on it seems but I'm committed to finishing it! Not sure what my problem is, not so much free time for reading. :sadpanda
Spudd
TH Master

Re: It' December...what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Club. I'm not a huge fan, it's all letters between the various characters and I find the style vaguely annoying.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I'm still reading "Eventide" by Kent Haruf. I'm making slow progress because I've been obsessed with the show "Parenthood" and have been burning up my reading time with tv. :?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Girl Land and it was very interesting. Now I'm reading "Drop Dead Healthy" by AJ Jacobs. This is the same guy who tried to live according to the Bible for a year. So far it's a fast read and I haven't learned anything too remarkable, but it's not annoying or anything. I like that he addresses his wife's reaction to all the things he's trying.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm reading The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg. It's good! I haven't had much reading time lately....... :sadpanda
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Gone Girl last night. Man, I just don't see the appeal. I found the first half boring and the second kind of silly. It felt like a made-for-TV movie. Andthe ending was beyond frustrating. It was gripping, I'll give it that. Gah, I hate when everyone loves a book except me.

Now I started The Untold Story by Monica Ali. Apparently it's about Princess Diana alive and living in the American Midwest in 2007 :lol
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I also hated the end, Silvia. I liked the first half and then when they started the second half I was totally gripped for a while. Then it went downhill until the end which I totally hated.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Afterwards last night. It was a good story I guess but just dragged on. It could have really used some good editing or something.

Not sure what's next...I really want something spectacular after that! *phew*
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Middlesteins. It was really quite good, I liked the characters and the interactions.

I just started My Heart is an Idiot by Davy Rothbart. It's a book of essays, which I'm usually not really a fan off but I'm enjoying this so far.

I need to get my ass in gear and read more often if I want to ever get through the pile of books in from the library before they are due back.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Hmm...interesting to read the comments about Gone Girl. I'm roughly halfway through the audiobook and am just starting to learn about the more mysterious stuff. It was definitely slow in the first part, but I don't actually mind that as I feel it helps with character development. I'm generally enjoying it so far, I'd say.

Did I ever post about finishing "Tell The Wolves I'm Home" or the audiobook of "Big Stone Gap"? I liked them both quite a lot and will definitely look for more of Adriana Trigiani's stuff; that was some good listening on the way to and from work.

I have "The Hobbit" out on my desk, as I've never read it. Jason's chomping at the bit to see the movie, and I'd like to read it before going to see that.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

The Hobbit is my favorite Tolkien. I read it multiple times as a child. I hated LOTR but I have a soft spot for the Hobbit.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Drop Dead Healthy. It was mostly interesting. It reinforced for me some things I know I should be doing (deep breathing, standing up more than sitting down), but nothing earth shattering.

I have a Jennifer Weiner book but I have to see if I can renew it. If not I will have to take it back to the library tomorrow.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "Eventide". I forced myself to go to bed earlier to get it finished since it's due back at the library today. It definitely wasn't as good as "Plainsong" or maybe it was too similar and so I wasn't as impressed. Still glad I read it though.

I have "Run" by Ann Patchett to finish (or start again...I think I only got in about 30 pages). And depending on Jack's cooperation, I'll see about picking something up at the library. Most of the books on my "to read" list are usually not available though. I had 3 holds become available while I was traveling and couldn't get them. OF COURSE. So we'll see....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Annie wrote:I'll see about picking something up at the library. Most of the books on my "to read" list are usually not available though. I had 3 holds become available while I was traveling and couldn't get them. OF COURSE. So we'll see....
At my old library you could "freeze" holds so you wouldn't miss them. When you got back from traveling you could "unfreeze" and be back in the same point in the queue. My new library doesn't have that though. I'm going to have to write down all my holds and re-hold them if they come in.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Blush wrote:
Annie wrote:I'll see about picking something up at the library. Most of the books on my "to read" list are usually not available though. I had 3 holds become available while I was traveling and couldn't get them. OF COURSE. So we'll see....
At my old library you could "freeze" holds so you wouldn't miss them. When you got back from traveling you could "unfreeze" and be back in the same point in the queue. My new library doesn't have that though. I'm going to have to write down all my holds and re-hold them if they come in.
:ditto I love the Freeze option. Although what happens to me is as soon as I unfreeze them they all come in so I have to do it slowly.

I finished up My Heart is an Idiot. Meh. It was ok, but reminded me that I don't like essays and short stories. And some of the stories just seems ridiculous and made up and not funny enough to make ok.

Next up will probably be Brain on Fire or The Twelve.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I don't know if we have that option but that would be awesome. I'll look into it. Thanks!

I picked up "Defending Jacob" and "Full Body Burden". Anyone want to recommend which I should read first? I'm leaning towards Defending Jacob because I think it'll be faster paced and so maybe more gripping. My last book was a little on the slow, anti-climatic side.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I haven't read the 2nd one, but Defending Jacob was pretty gripping.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Spudd wrote:I haven't read the 2nd one, but Defending Jacob was pretty gripping.
:ditto
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I also haven't read (or heard of!) the second. I did like Defending Jacob although at times the writing was wonky.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I ended up starting "Full Body Burden". I decided that since I knew "Defending Jacob" would be more gripping, I'd be motivated to get through FBB so I could get to it. FBB is non-fiction which is a little harder for me to stick with before bed but this is really good. I read 100 pages last night. I think I heard the author interviewed on a Bay Area NPR show and that's what got me interested. Or maybe it was Fresh Air, can't remember. Here's a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Body-Burden- ... ody+burden