It' December...what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Annie
Noodles and Corn

Re: It' December...what are you reading?

Post by Annie »

I finished Full Body Burden. Good book!

I started Defending Jacob last night. Not sure I actually want to read it right now as it's about child murder and the town is named Newton. Interesting coincidence. It's not that I don't want to think about the issues. I'm just not convinced this author (and the lead character) is going to handle the topic in a delicate enough way for me right now. The main character is a little blaze about murder.

I have 2 other books up at the library so maybe I'll just get those and start something else.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Annie...you're right probably not the best book for right now.

I started Love Anthony which is about an autistic boy (also probably not the best choice) *but* there are massive holds on it so it's now or 6 months from now.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just finished listening to "Gone Girl." I see why people may not like it much--especially the ending--but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I love the character development and how your feelings toward Nick and Amy change so much throughout the story. And the detail needed to write such a story is pretty impressive. The ending wasn't my favorite, but it does fit the themes of the rest of the book, so it didn't surprise me a whole lot really. So yeah, I liked it. Thanks for the recommendation, all of you!

Working my way through "The Hobbit." I'm about 1/3 through it and am really blah about it so far. Something about this story just doesn't do it for me. I never read the LOTR books but really didn't care for the movies, so :dunno.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy wrote: Working my way through "The Hobbit." I'm about 1/3 through it and am really blah about it so far. Something about this story just doesn't do it for me. I never read the LOTR books but really didn't care for the movies, so :dunno.
I could never get into The Hobbit or the LOTR books for some reason. I *wanted* to like them but they just didn't do anything for me.

I tried to start The Twelve by Justin Cronin and just couldn't get into it. Same thing with Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior. So now I'm back to reading A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin. I also checked out a doorstop of a book on the Tudor period by Alison Weir that I've somehow never read (I've read most of her books).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. I didn't really like it. He started off talking about how wheat is really bad for you because it's been modified a ton from the original natural form, which had unexpected side effects in humans. I was okay with that part. But by the end he was telling you to eat low carb everything, don't eat too much fruit, don't drink too much juice, yada yada. I thought it was kind of ridiculous. Is your thesis that wheat is bad for you or that carbs in general are bad? Make up your mind. Anyway, because he specifically mentioned some conditions that I have (asthma, eczema, IBS) I figure I'll cut out wheat for a month or two and see. But I really got turned off when he went all low-carb diet. There's no way I'm going to eat a low-carb diet, he'll have to take my oatmeal out of my cold dead hands.

I'm still in the middle of "The Litigators" by John Grisham. It's pretty good, although it does have what Kenneth and I call "rippling biceps" moments. Example, there's one scene where one lawyer calls another one to tell him about another lawyer. He describes her to him in excruciating detail. If it had just been a paragraph of description, it would have been okay. But as a phone conversation? It was completely ridiculous.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

"rippling biceps"? :drool :drool :drool
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I started "Naked in Death" by JD Robb last night. I wanted something mindless and so far so good. It's the first of a long series so maybe it will make for some mindless reading over the holidays.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

While here I only read 2 books! Secrets by Lesley Pearse (1930's and WWII England). I really enjoyed it. Then I read a Nora Roberts book that I had laying around called Carolina Moon. It was typical Nora Roberts. I left in the rainy day book pile here.

I have a british chick lit book for the plane tomorrow and a buch of books on my PB too.
Annie
Noodles and Corn

Post by Annie »

I finished "Defending Jacob". It was okay. Not the best ever but the pacing kept me going. I felt like the ending was rushed and not well written but overall I liked the book.

Next up is either The Age of Miracles or the Cheryl Strayed book about the PC trail. Both are due back in about 10 days. :\

Where'd you go Bernadette also came in for me but I'll probably wait until later this week to pick it up so as to buy myself more time with it. Guessing it's a 14 day loan.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Litigators. It was ok. Nothing special.

Now started Solar, by Ian McEwan. I usually like his stuff so hopefully this will be good.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I just started the Curious Incident of the Dog In The Nighttime
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished A Feast for Crows, it was quite good. No idea what I'm reading next. I'm finding everytme I finish one of George RR Martins books in this series I have trouble starting a new book, like I can't get my head out of that world.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I was wrong; it was Irish chicklit and I really enjoyed it. The book was "Saving Grace" by Ciara Geraghty. The style reminded me a lot of Marian Keyes.

Next up is "Then Came You" by Jennifer Weiner.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished A Summer Affair by Elin Hildrebrandt. I like her writing...nice and light although I don't know why I picked it up as I don't really like reading about affairs and er...it's right there in the title.

Not sure what's next....
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Finished Solar a few days ago. I thought the ending was kind of weird. And the plot was a bit meh. I wouldn't really recommend it though I can't say I disliked it.

Now I'm reading "The Devil's Feather" by Minette Walters. I'm really enjoying it so far.