May! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

May! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Just finished Reconstructing Amelia. It was ok.

Not sure what's next in the pile....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: May! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Interesting on Amelia, I keep seeing reviews that it's a "must read". Did you end up reading Vampires in the Lemon Grove?

I'm giving up on the WWI book I started. It's waaaay too dry. Picking up The Interestings from the library tonight.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Re: Amelia. I think it was a YA book but I'm still not sure. I like YA books but I need to know it's YA before I read it. I know...it's weird. I didn't hate it; I just thought it was ok.

Vampires...I didn't really like it. :ahh I think I just don't like her writing style. I know you loved it. It's funny how people's tastes can be so similar and then one outlier.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:Vampires...I didn't really like it. :ahh I think I just don't like her writing style. I know you loved it. It's funny how people's tastes can be so similar and then one outlier.
:lol I know you didn't like Swamplandia! either. I was just curious what you thought. My two favorites were the silkworm factory one and the president/horse one. Both SO WEIRD but I really liked them.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I am still reading the Jen Lancaster book. It is a bit cheesy but an easy read. I'll finish it but I'm not jonesing to read it or anything.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I *hated* the president/horse one. The silkworm one was my fave of all. Most of the stories left me :headscratch .

Too funny.....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Jen Lancaster book. It was...a book. Kind of cute but totally trite. Should have expected that.

I just picked up the new David Sedaris book, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished The Night Circus on the day it was due back. Whew! I wasn't a big fan although I did like the ending.

Now I'm reading Around the World in 80 Dates. It's amusing so far but I can tell it won't be a great book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm halfway through Three Graves Full. The beginning was pretty good and action packed, the middle is slow and semi-unbelieveable. I'll finish it but :dunno
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I'm about 1/4 of the way into The Interestings and I'm booorrred. Keep seeing this book on all the summer reading lists too. :shrug. Going to give it another 50-80 pages before I decide if I'm bailing.

I also started reading John Dies at the End. I feel like it's a more jacked up Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Haven't decided if I like it or not yet.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading The Smart One by Jennifer Close. I'm only 10 pp in so no comment yet.

Although I seem to be completely off kilter with the other readers here lately so certainly take my recommendations with a grain of salt.... :unsure
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Interestings. Should have been call The Not Interestings. Stuck with it expecting it to get better but was just bored.

I gave up on John Dies at the End. Too bizarre.

Next up the the last Sookie Stackhouse book, Dead Ever After.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the David Sedaris book and I really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud in a few places.

Now I have Ordinary Grace, by William Kent Krueger. Looks gripping.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished The Smart One. Read Someday Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls. It was fine.

I'm reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl) and I'm really liking it! Although I think she purposely writes main characters that you don't like.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Dead Ever After, which is the last Sookie Stackhouse book. Meh. I didn't much like the ending. Don't want to put anything else since I'm not sure if anyone else reads the series.

Next up is The Plantagenets - The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England.
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

Lit by mary karr, a memoir. Up to p 24 and pretty into it.

Tried to read hedgemony or survival by noam chomsky, but had to give up. Too historical, pedantic, etc. going into the books to sell/give away pile.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I spent my Saturday doing a beta read of a fiction novel from one of my favorite bloggers. She's published non-fiction but this is her first attempt at fiction. I'm pretty excited to do this! S kept asking whether I was really going to tell her bad things...um of course, that's why you have people read it - to get the kinks out....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Ordinary Grace. It took me about 100 pages to get into it, and at that point I just finished it in an hour. It was good; not spectacular, but I had the day off and some time so I could do that. Now I have Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan. Looking forward to some laughs, even if I can't get the parenting humour.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

The author I did the beta read for loved my feedback! Yay! I have a quick call with her tomorrow to discuss. :hyper

I finished The Prophet by Michael Koryta. I liked it. I'll read more of him.

I'm currently reading The Dinner by Herman Koch. I'm only about 50pp in or so but I'm intrigued. I usually have issue with books that have been translated but this is very well done and I wouldn't guess it was a translation (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I'm looking at you).

I have a giant pile of books to take to NH for the long weekend. HOpefully I can get a lot of reading in.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan - I really enjoyed The Dinner!

I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Plantagenets. It's very good but slow going since I'm trying to keep track of the dates and all the people named Henry, Thomas and Edward. :?

I have a bunch of books on the hold shelf so I think I think I might put this aside for awhile and come back to it.