March: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: March: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Justice For Sara. It was about what I expected. Now I've got The Middlesteins by Jami Attenburg.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I started The Troop by Nick Cutter yesterday. I have high hopes.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Jon just read a book called Paper Towns he highly recommends it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Gave up on the Mario Vargas Llosa, so that makes it TWO Nobel prize winners I've given up on this month alone :lol Well, at least I've read and liked other books by this one.

Then I read Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy. It had a few good moments, but overall it kinda sucked. The premise (no spoilers) was a very bad idea and a risky move, IMO. Apparently it pissed a lot of readers off. I knew about it before I started reading, so I wasn't pissed, but I still think it didn't work. Also, the book dragged and dragged. You could remove 150 pages from the middle and you'd never notice. I bet the movie will still be funny and cute, though. This was obviously made with it in mind. I bet she already has a contract signed.

Then I started The Husband's Secret. It's very gripping so far. It's just a shame I got it in Portuguese (it feels like a dubbed movie), but I was too curious and they didn't have it in English. But at least the translation seems good.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm still reading The Troop. It's become a bit of a slog but I'm determined to finish it. The plague is a contagious tapeworm but they used a genetic model organism (worm, yes but not in the tapeworm family). My inner geek is having issues accepting it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I gave up on The Wolf of Wall Street. I couldn't take the writing. Tried to start Shotgun Lovesongs but couldn't get in to it.

In a fit of insomnia last night I started reading The Husband's Secrect by Liane Moriarty (Sil :high5 ). It's good! Hoping the ending is satisfying.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I liked The Husbands Secret. But I think I may have lower standards than most.... :wine
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Harlan Coben's latest Missing You. I usually love his stand alones but this was just ok.

Up next, The Divorce Papers. I hesitate to read it at hockey. Don't want the other hockey parents to think its a how-to. :whistle
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Husbands Secret, it was good! Really enjoyed it.

Ro, I'm starting The Divorce Papers tonight! :hi
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm liking The Divorce Papers.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Started "Divergent" yesterday...super loving it so far! And yes, I know I'm way behind with just reading this now. :)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Divorce Papers. I liked it but found myself skimming a fair amount.

Now I'm reading a collection of Shirley Jackson's work. The Lottery, The Haunting of Hill House, etc.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Middlesteins. It was all right. I kept expecting to feel something for the characters by the end of the book, but I didn't.

Now I've got Sister Mother Husband Dog by Delia Ephron. For some reason I enjoy books of short essays way more than short stories.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Mellen, I ended up doing the same think. I liked the Mia storyline but the back story of Sophie was slow and boring.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Husband's Secret and I really liked it. That's a grand total of TWO books we've agreed on, Mellen! :giggle

Then I started Winter of the World, the second in Ken Follett's Century Trilogy. I didn't like the first one much, so didn't intend to read this, but my mom read both and said this one's much better, so I'll give it a try.