Discussion of Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Discussion of Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Post by Malanee »

Okay guys - I read this a while ago, so I'm going to come up with a few questions off the top of my head - but those of you who read it more recently, please add!

What was your overall impression of the book? Did you like it?

What was your favorite story?

Where do you think David Sedaris' humor comes from?

Can you relate to any of the stories or characters? Explain...
Last edited by Malanee on Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happiness is an inside job.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Re: Discussion of Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Post by Lady Bug »

~Overall, I found it enjoyable. There were definitely some laugh-out-loud moments (the halloween candy and mouse-drowning stories come to mind).

~I don't know if I had ONE favorite, but I did really like the one about the halloween candy/non-tv-watching neighbors and the little girl next door.

~It has to be his family. They are insane! In some ways, I could relate - every family has quirks. But, just hearing about his sister who never cleans her place and his brother who tried to make his baby daughter's toy spell out cuss words cracked me up!

~I guess I can relate most to the author - but maybe that's only because the stories are told from his perspective.

Other comments?
~While I enjoyed the book, I do think that David Sedaris is a bit overrated. Like, another friend of mine was reading him and I asked what he tought and he said, "Genius!" Umm, okay . . . I find him to be witty and intelligent, but I don't know if I'd say genius . . . maybe that definition comes from the fact that we are really starving for true writers in popular culture. I will also admit that it was interesting to read about people who are different than me and I even found myself chuckling despite myself when I read the words "Snow Negroes."

I definitely plan to read more of Sedaris' works . . . they are entertaining and not too deep :)
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I feel like I read this ages ago - I swear I can barely remember it.

I did like it. Its not my usual book but I'm glad I read it - really easy to get through.

I laughed a lot through the stories of his brother. I can really picture this guy in my head. It was very sweet the way he described his love for his daughter.

I'll steal from LB - definitely his family.

I need to think about this - nothing comes to mind right away.

Anything else?

I did find the story about the boy in the hotel strange. About how he has OCD and wanted to touch the boy's head and how that would be wrong because he's gay. I just found that whole passage strange and out of place. Don't get me wrong - I think it is awful that a random touch would be taken out of context because of his sexuality but I just felt he was really pointing it out. Plus the whole OCD thing was strange to me.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Rowan wrote:
I did find the story about the boy in the hotel strange. About how he has OCD and wanted to touch the boy's head and how that would be wrong because he's gay. I just found that whole passage strange and out of place. Don't get me wrong - I think it is awful that a random touch would be taken out of context because of his sexuality but I just felt he was really pointing it out. Plus the whole OCD thing was strange to me.
You know what, though? As a person with OCD, I found that story to be right on target because that's what OCD is like . . . you are obsessed with doing something that you know you're not supposed to do. (I think touching a stranger's head is weird, regardless of gender/orientation :lol) I've actually been reluctant to read OCD-related stories/memoirs because I'm afraid they will trigger me into those same obsessions . . . fortunately this one didn't!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

So you know that you're not "supposed" to do an OCD behavior and you try not to do it? I always thought that it was just something that was done without your being aware.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Oh no - you are *very* aware . . . you are compelled to do something precisely because you don't want to (or should not) do it. It's sort of like Tourette's Syndrome - where people blurt out things that are offensive (curse words, racial epithets, etc.) and it's not because they want to say those things but because they *don't* want to say them and/or understand that they are taboo.

It's really not pleasant at all!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

That does sound horrible.

:bighug
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Thanks for the hugs. Medication, therapy, and prayer have helped immensely. I don't suffer nearly as much as I used to . . . now my OCD is like an after-thought . . . hardly interrupts my life at all.
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

That it was overrated. I didn't enjoy it.

I don't know that I had a fave. I found most of them sad and disturbing.

Gotta be his family - if you call that humor.

My ex MIL never cleaned her house. Ever.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

No, Marie, tell us what you *really* think! :lol
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

* I thought it was decent. I usually prefer to read books with one long plot rather than a series of short stories, but that was really my main complaint. I laughed out loud a few times while reading it, and felt compelled to read portions to dh. I'd say in my opinion it had flashes of brilliance, but I didn't love it overall.

* I liked two:
1) The one where he was drowning the mouse on the front porch. When the tourist says to him "oh, you have a little swimming mouse. We have a dog, but we left it at home" I was dying.
2) The one about Santa in Holland. The 6-8 black men, and that Santa used to be the bishop of Turkey.. heheh. I was very amused.

* Definitely seems like he grew up in a bizarre household.

* Not really... but I did get a kick out of them.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd - I read the Santa in Holland story to dh. I thought it was hilarious.