September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Keep me Posted. It was a cute quick read.

I have three for this week: an old Fannie Flagg, The Book Thief, and the newest Yann Martel.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

It's funny because it's one of those books where the intellectual part of you is like "I can't believe you're reading this" but the escapist part of you is like "yeah! this is fun! give me more!".
I totally agree Spudd. They get less good as they go along but yes they're silly and fun.

I read Leave Me about an overworked wife/mother who has a heart attack and isn't recuperating well so she just ups and leaves her family. Awful that I daydream about that. I would never do it but I think about it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Selection" and was quite distraught to realize it didn't have an ending, you need to read the next 2 books in the series. So I read the sample from "The Elite" last night but it was so short. I'm going to see if I can get them from the library.
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I am reading Good Harbor by Anita Diamant. It's light reading, though has some serious topics in it. It's an easy read, and I'll probably finish it on the bus today. I have so many books that I don't even know how they got in my house, and I'm dedicating more time to reading lately, so I am reading that now, mainly so I can get rid of it. I bought a pile of books when I was last in the states. Can't wait to get started on those!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Look who's visiting! Hi, Kayley! :hi Tell us, what else have you brought?

I finished What She Knew last night. LOVED it (sorry, Mellen, I saw you marked it as to-read.) I liked it from the beginning, and the end was edge-of-your-seat stuff. I was super irritated because I had to stop reading at a crucial point and didn't go back to it for several hours.

Then I started the sample of The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell because I needed something lighter and have been curious about LJ. I've never read anything by her. Chick lit, they tell me? Some of her books don't sound super chick lit-y.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Meh, I have post-excellent book blues. Nothing seems good. I'm at my third sample and nothing has grabbed me yet. This last one was The Burning Air by Erin Kelly, which I saw Blush gave 4 stars too. It started out great, but I was already slightly bored towards the end of the sample. I'm sure it's just me, and I might still buy it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just been going through Amsterdam guidebooks, which I can't really count as "read books." So probably won't reach my goal, but we'll see. Last night "Shift" by Hugh Howey came in for me, which should make for great travel reading. Hoping at least one more hold will come in before I leave on Friday evening.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Bugsy, I really liked Shift, it should be a great travel book!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I don't even remember The Burning Air. Maybe I should adjust my review!

I'm slugging through Standing in the Rainbow by Fannie Flagg. I brought it because I can leave it behind. Thankfully it's not really plot driven, just little vignettes, so I can skim when needed.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh, really? I ended up buying it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I was able to return The Burning Air, yay! I wasn't really feeling it, and with Blush's comment... I don't know, it might be good, but it had lost steam after the first few pages and... yeah. Not so sure. I learned the other day that you can return books on kindle. Maybe not after you've read them to the end, or maybe not after too long, but my friend says she buys 15 books on kindle every month on average and returns about 3, after reading a little more than the sample and realizing it was just not for her. Why didn't I know about this before??

Then I started I Found You by Lisa Jewell, which so far I like.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Fannie Flagg was fairly irritating, the Yann Martel was weird as expected. Now I've got What We've Lost is Nothing by Rachel Louise Snyder.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I Found You was a bit of a slow starter and I wasn't crazy about the writing, but the pace did pick up and I ended up liking it, if not loving it. Anything else by her you guys recommend?

Not sure what's next. Maybe some Mary Kubica, because her name keeps popping up.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Sil, i liked Pretty Baby by her, although I found the ending a bit unsatisfying. But the journey to get there was good.

I finished The Elite and started The One by Kiera Cass. This better be the last one. I'm into it, but yet not into it at the same time. Like I want to see what happens but I find the writing style not entirely to my taste. She keeps saying "I ducked my head" when the chick feels embarrassed. It bugs me, I don't know why.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I just read a great book by Joyce Maynard: Under the Influence -- my first by her but I'm going to go check out others tonight.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks, Spudd. I read a few pages of The Good Girl, but it didn't grab me. Might try that instead.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

... and I ended up starting Pretty Baby. I liked the beginning much better than The Good Girl, so we'll see. Kindle is ruining me as a reader, I can't commit to anything! I must have tried 10 samples before I settled on this.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm about to read "A Boy At War" by Harry Mazer, it's about a boy whose Dad was on a ship; that got bombed during Pearl Harbor (he lives in HI) . I'm going to have Evan read it since we live here and it's the 50th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor and my Dad's brother was on one of hte ships that got bombed and was killed ...
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

I just read "Bless Me, Última" by Rudolfo Anaya. I really enjoyed it, and it has some heartbreakingly gorgeous text in it. I mostly bought nonfiction stuff. I will go through tomorrow and either take a pic or let you know what I got. A few books written by friends, too! :)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bah, not on kindle. I hope your friends are better writers than mine!