October already! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

October already! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I gave up on The French Wedding. I couldn't get into it.

Next I am trying Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin. It's about a congressional intern.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: October already! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Prisoner of Heaven. Enjoyed it, but it's not for people who haven't read The Shadow of the Wind, no matter what the author says. Now I'm reading the sample of The Labyrinth of Spirits, the last in the series. So far I'm finding it a bit slow, and am also a little irritated that the author spent a loooong chapter describing how a main character escaped a certain villain in a certain situation. The problem is we already know from reading the other books in the series that that particular villain is dead, and that hero survived not only that scene, but much worse, and is still alive 28 years later, so please tell me something I don't know. But that chapter is over now, so let's see what else he's got. You know I'm getting really impatient in my old age.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Book of Unknown Americans" and enjoyed it. I don't know what I'll read next. I also have to update my Goodreads after vacation!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read The Best of Adam Sharp by Graeme Simsion over the weekend. I liked it but it was no Rosie's Project. I also finished The Lying Game by Ruth Ware which was also fine.

I have Shtum in my bag (recommended by Blush). Hopefully I can get some lunch time reading in.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I am just about done with The Burning Girl by Claire Messud. It's fairly decent but nothing amazing.

I had the Resurrection of Joan Ashby from the library as well. I keep seeing it on "must read" lists but I just couldn't get into another loooong book after reading It.

Edited to add: Finished The Burning Girl - The ending didn't save it, it was ok, not really something I'd recommend anyone reading though.

Just finished a YA book called All Rights Reserved by Gregory Scott Katsoulis - It was really good! The book is set in the future where every word or gesture is copyrighted/patented/trademarked and after you turn 15 you have to pay for everything you say and do.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm currently reading Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker. It's one of the "talked about" books right now and it's dragging for me. Somehow the writing/story just seems slow. I'll finish it as I'm semi intrigued by the plot but it's definitely not one of those un-put-downable books.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Emma in the Night was fine. I felt that I really had to let go of reality a bit for the ending (if that makes any sense).

I got 6 books in on hold tonight. I am off next week so that helps but jeez they always come in like that.

@mellen: Do I skip Burning Girl? ETA: i just saw your edit. A lot of people didn't like the ending. Given I have so many right now...I think I'll pass.

Here's my haul:

See What I have Done
The Burning Girl
They Both Die at the End
The Power
Goodbye Vitamin
The Impossible Fortress
The Arrangement
The Wanderers

Anyone? thoughts?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I don't know anything about any of those, Ro.

I just finished reading Young Jane Young. It was really good, and felt timely.

Next up is Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I rolled my eyes several times while reading The Arrangment. It’s a beach read type book, nothing fantastic.

I haven’t read any of the others. And my holds come in like that all the damn time. Drives me nuts. Then I feel like I have to make a pile ranking what I want to read vs what I’m willing to return without reading.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, let us know what you think of They Both Die at the End. I've had that author on my radar for a while.

I'm still reading The Labyrinth of Spirits. It dragged, then the minute I started reading something else on the side, it picked up. Of course. I'm at 74% now and have faith I'll finish it one day. The other book I started is The War that Saved my Life. It's for ages 11-12, I think? Anyway, I wanna read it first but I think Leo will enjoy it too.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellenhead wrote: Then I feel like I have to make a pile ranking what I want to read vs what I’m willing to return without reading.
That's totally where I am right now. I will have more time to read next week so there's that.

I started Look What I have done or whatever. The Lizzie Borden book -- it's decent so far.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Class Mom by Laurie Gelman - it's a funny take on school politics and the mine field of being a class mom. I enjoyed it.

I'm about a quarter of the way in to My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent - The writing is beautiful, but it is a dark read, the book follows the (extremely) dysfunctional relationship between father and daughter living in northern California.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished both The Labyrinth of Spirits, which turned out to be very good after a slow beginning, and The War that Saved my Life, which was great. I hope Leo'll be interested.

Now I'm reading I Liked my Life. I'm enjoying it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Fitness Junkie. It was current and amusing.

Now I have Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit. I am only 2 chapters in and it's very compelling.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Finished Men Explain Things to Me. Very good. Also enraging.

Next is American War by Omar El Akkad.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

American War was really compelling. Difficult to read in parts (disturbing) but really good. And scary.

Next is Theft by Finding; David Sedaris' diaries from 1977-2002.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished I Liked My Life. It was ok. You know the kind of book that is entertaining enough while you read, but totally forgettable 2 days after you've finished? Yeah.

Then I read a short story by Jennifer Weiner called Swim. I liked it. It was free on kindle a while ago and had been sitting there for a long time. Good choice inbetween longer books.

Then I started This is How it Always Is by... Laurie Frankel? I think that's her name. It's about a trans kid. I thought the beginning was a bit slow, but now it's getting good.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just added American War to my library list - it sounds good!

Finished My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent - it was good, but dealt with incest and abuse. I was ready to be done with it about 150 pages before it was over.

Now I (of course) have a whole stack of books that came in at once. I think I'm going to try to read What Happened by Hilary Clinton first.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished This is How it Always is. It was ok. I wanted to like it more. It had some good elements, and I was curious about the theme, but I thought it was too rambly and was mostly bored.

Then I started Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard. I read Labor Day by this author a while ago and didn't like it, but this called my attention and I was hooked from the sample. I hope it keeps up.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Where I Lost Her" by T Greenwood. So far I'm really into it.