February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

February! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm in a drought right now. I want to start Unfuck Your Habitat because its interlibrary loan and it took forever to get.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: February! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Reading droughts are the worst, Rowan. :sadpanda

I just finished reading This Could Hurt by Jillian Medoff. It is about a group of workers that are struggling to find their place in a bad economy and end up hiding their bosses illness to keep her job and theirs. Some of it was just ridiculous. It was a so/so book for me.

Next up is Our Lady of the Prairie by Thisbe Nissen.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Mrs. Fletcher. It was not great.

Next is Are you sleeping by Kathleen Barber.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished No Angel by Penny Vincenzi. It was a bit too soap-opera-ish, but I loved the setting.

Then I read Little Fires Everywhere. Very good, though it took me a while to get into it. What was it that you guys thought was odd/convoluted, Blush and Mellen? The baby thread? I loved it!

I think I'm gonna start The Stolen Marriage by Diane Chamberlain.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I just thought it was all connected too conveniently at the end I guess, Sil. I liked the book but it didn't wow me.

Blush I was super disappointed in Mrs. Fletcher as well. I usually really like his books.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yeah, and Isabelle. Loose ends there; just felt like it was easier to make her disappear than finish that story.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Our Lady of the Prairie was not good. I skimmed a lot, waaaay to much detail about stuff that didn’t matter.

I think Anatomy of a Scandal is up next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush wrote:Yeah, and Isabelle. Loose ends there; just felt like it was easier to make her disappear than finish that story.
Yeah, I agree. Just too many loose ends all around.

I started the Diane Chamberlain, and I think apparently I've also started The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I bought the trilogy for Leo but am unsure about whether it's ok for his age, so I started reading it. I'm more interested than I expected to be, but fantasy is so not my thing I don't even know how to read it. I keep looking up words and places to see if they exist or if they're made up. I find that annoying, but overall I'm finding it readable. Have you read it, Mellen?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I loved the Golden Compass trilogy. I listened to the audiobooks and the narrator had this wonderful British accent. But the plot/characters were also good. ;)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Do you think it's too violent for a 10-year-old? I heard that from someone. I'm sure the criticism of the Catholic church will go right over his head, but that's ok. As long as it's an entertaining adventure, it'll be worth it. We'll see. I'm on page 120 and so far kids are disappearing, and I kind of hope nothing too graphic will come up :unsure
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

When I was 10 I was reading Jaws, so my judgement might not be the best, LOL. I didn't find it very violent, though.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I got to the part where they reveal what horrible thing they've been doing to the kids, and it's not horrible at all. I think he'll be fine. I just hope he won't be as bored as I am...
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I never read the Golden Compass trilogy but I bet he will be fine. However I'm with Spudd in that I was reading adult books (It, Flowers in the Attic, etc) way younger than I should have been. I'll generally let Jake read anything he's interested in if it means he's going to read.

I just finished Anatomy of a Scandal by Sarah Vaughan. Another semi-stinker. It was too long and just kind of meh.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Quote's not working. I agree with letting him read whatever he wants, but I am curious/slightly concerned about age appropriateness. I think I didn't read adult books until I was 13-14. I found It too violent for me as an adult, Mellen :lol Also, you should read The Golden Compass, it seems up your alley.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished Are you Sleeping by Kathleen Barber. It was fine but not gripping like I expected.

Now I have The Rome Affair by Karen Swan.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished reading "The CBS Murders" the other night. It was a true crime book, I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Now I'm reading "The Burgess Boys", I forget who wrote it. It's OK so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Golden Compass. Didn't like it, but I didn't expect to like it :shrug As I mentioned, I just read it to see if it was ok for Leo to read. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine piece of fantasy, it's just SO not my thing.

Still reading the Diane Chamberlain. It's readable.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert - I really loved this book. It's about a teenager named Alice - her grandmother is a famous author, who wrote a book of dark fairy tales set in a mythical world called the Hinterland - but the world is real. Plus the cover is GORGEOUS.

Next up is River of Teeth - which is loosely based on the real plan of the United States government importing hippos to farm as meat in the late 1800s (but never went through with the idea). In the book the whole operation goes south. It's a short novella with great reviews.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Stolen Marriage. Her books are so ridiculously far-fetched, but if you can suspend disbelief they're fun.

I started the sample of The Immortalists last night. Not sure if I'll buy it yet.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished River of Teeth - it was ridiculous and fun. I liked it.

I'm about halfway through The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani which I believe was translated from French.

Sil, I just got a notification that The Immortalists is on the hold shelf for me.