June: what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

June: what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Fire and Fury. There were some tidbits in there I had not seen reported already, so it was interesting.

Then I just read The Hormone Myth by Rebecca Stein Deluca. There wasn't a whole lot in there I hadn't read before but it was also interesting.

Now I'm finally going to read The Handmaid's Tale.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: June: what are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Class Mom by Laurie Gelman which was really funny. I didn't love the story behind it but the class mom stuff was hilarious. I don't know that Marie comes here but she should read it.

I have a stack of all similar books (smart chick lit) but I'm in the mood for thriller so we'll have to see what I pick up next; i might need to hit the library.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Handmaid's Tale. I couldn't put it down; I forgot how good Margaret Atwood is, and I wanted more, even though it was chilling.

Next is The Coincidence Makers by Yoav Blum.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I just abandoned The Glitch at about 50 pages in. It was just annoying me.

I started The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. It seems familiar to me but it's not on my reading log as having read it. Hmmm...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Lilac Girls. It was good, not great. It took me a while to get into and, although it was based on true facts, the author made up some things that didn't work for me. Still, recommended if you're into WW2 novels.

Then I started The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne, which had been on my list for a while. As much as I try to avoid this, I have huge expectations for it. It seems so much up my alley. I was sucked right in.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I hadn't read The Good Daughter -- I did end up liking it.

I have Little Monsters by Kara Thomas in my work bag; hopefully I can start it at lunch.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Coincidence Makers. It was an interesting premise and well told.

Now I have Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdich.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm still reading (and enjoying) The Heart's Invisible Furies, but yesterday I read a short book by a Brazilian plus-size model. She claims to have never wanted to be thinner, to have always loved her body as it is, and that she's saddened by how much energy women spend obsessing about weight. I think she's convinced me. I so wish there'd been role models like her when I was a teen/in my early 20s. But back then fat people in Brazil were an aberration that should hide from public view. Here she is: https://www.google.com/search?q=fluvia+ ... 80&bih=579
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdich. On the heels of The Handmaid's Tale I'm really on edge. Ha!

Next is The Child Finder by Rene Denfield. I don't even know what it's about but it was on the "staff recommendations" shelf at the library.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I started "You" by Caroline Kepner. It's creepy and good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Heart's Invisible Furies. LOVED it. Top 5 of the decade, for sure. I was expecting a lot of drama, which it has. I was NOT expecting hilarious dialog. I laughed out loud several times. Loved the structure (a person's life told in segments 7 years apart from each other), was horrified to read what it was like to be a gay man in Ireland in the 1950s to 70s. (probably not very different from here). Was touched by everything else. Highly recommended.

Not sure what's next. I'm feeling that post-fabulous book void. I need a hug.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Well I'm putting that on my list immediately, Sílvia! :hug
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I also put a hold on it at the library! That's why I love these book threads.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I hope you guys like it, now that I've raised your expectations so much :?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

When I went to post it on Goodreads I discovered I already had it marked as "Want to Read". Ha!
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Anyone else see the "Top 100 Books in America" list that Random House put out? Shamefully, I have only read EIGHT on this list. That's horrible. I'm thinking of starting to check these off! :paranoid
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Child Finder. It wasn't very suspenseful but it was disturbing in parts.

Next I have a light fun read (I hope): Amber Green takes Manhattan by Rosie Nixon.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Korie, I'm done with lists and with what I "should" read. I'm not getting grades or getting paid for what I read, so I read whatever seems good to my taste and mood!

I'm reading The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne, historical fiction involving the Romanovs. It's not as good as I expected, but it's readable.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Rosie Nixon book was unreadable, AND it just so happened that The Heart's Invisible Furies came in for me at the library so I'm starting that. :)