June: what are you reading? And...

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

June: what are you reading? And...

Post by Sílvia »

... where the heck is Rowan? Have we lost yet another member? :(

I finished The Rosie Result. It was ok. The first half was kinda boring, which I wasn't expecting at all. The second half was better, but still too different from the first 2 books for my taste. Don is way too functional, he seems to have learned all "social protocols" and doesn't get himself into hilarious situations anymore. This book is much more about parenting and fitting in. So I decided to reread The Rosie Project because THAT made me laugh out loud several times! Such a great book! I started yesterday and am on page 100. I think it took me 5 days to get to page 100 of The Rosie Result.
Blush
TH Master

Re: June: what are you reading? And...

Post by Blush »

I think I read the Rosie Result and thought it was...fine.

I'm still chugging along on Out of the Blue by Isabel Wolff. I feel like I have to finish.

I did read Women Talking by Miriam Toews this weekend, about Mennonites in Bolivia. It coincided with me seeing Mennonites on the beach on Sunday; it's always a little jarring to see their long dresses and bonnets on the beach.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think I read the Rosie Result and thought it was...fine.
It's not on your goodreads! Maybe you mean the second one, The Rosie Effect? But you gave it 4 stars.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Hmm. Gotta go back and check.

Ok yes, I was confused (surprise! ). I don't remember liking the Rosie Effect as much as the Rosie Project. :headscratch
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, The Rosie Result is new. Came out this year. I thought you might be thinking of the previous one (the effect). You're very generous in your ratings! :lol
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished The Wife by Alafair Burke. I spent like 10 minutes sitting here racking my brain for the title, thinking it was a Lionel Shriver book, and randomly googling character names and plot descriptions and coming up empty. I am so lazy I didn't want to walk the 10 feet to get my Kindle and find out the actual title/author. Anyway, I thought it was OK, not great. 3 stars.

Then I started The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. So far I'm not into it, but hopefully it will get better.

And yeah, where is Rowan? I know she just got a new job but that's no excuse. :angrywife
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I hope you like The Heart's Invisible Furies. That was my favourite book last year!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I absolutely adored Heart's, but I was grabbed in the first paragraph. I hope you start enjoying it, but I thought that first scene was so powerful. If it didn't grab you...
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read more of it last night and I'm into it now. The one thing I don't like is all the Irish lingo. I don't know what a lot of it means.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Out of the Blue. It was quite eye roll inducing.

Now I have Extraordinary by David Gilmour. It's fiction about medical assistance in dying.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:45 am I read more of it last night and I'm into it now. The one thing I don't like is all the Irish lingo. I don't know what a lot of it means.
I'd read about 30% when I decided to return the English version to Amazon and get the Portuguese version. I figured anything that might have been lost in the translation would be made up for by the lots of other things I *would* understand because they were in my own language. Maybe you should get the Canadian version :lol
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Extraordinary. Meh.

Now I have a suspense novel called Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I reread The Rosie Project to refresh my memory on some points. Turns out I remembered VERY little of it. I should stop buying books and just reread everything I own. My bad memory will come in handy now that Niko's unemployed :lol

Then I started The Lie by C. L. Taylor. It's one of those typical psychological thrillers. Entertaining enough.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finally finished Before She Knew Him. It was pretty good.

Now I have The dystopian novel Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel. Kincardine gets a mention on page 37! Glad to know it still exists after the flu wipes out most of humanity. :ohyou
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I loved Station Eleven! I hope you like it. I remember Rowan mentioning Kincardine to you when she read it :lol

I gave up on The Lie. I couldn't care how it would end. I'm so sick of these formulaic psychological thrillers.

I read The Hate U Give because of the hype. When a book has consistent 5-star reviews I wanna see all the fuss is, unless it's a genre I don't read at all (like fantasy). It was what I expected. Yeah, it's about an important issue (black kid being murdered by the police), and I suspect many people are almost afraid to say what they really thought of the book because they're afraid of the backlash. I feel that often happens with books that deal with important issues. I found it kind of boring, to be honest.

I'm also reading The Overdue Life of Amy Byler, which is cute but less than thrilling. I've been reading it forever. I started before The Hate U Give and haven't finished it yet.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Heart's Invisible Furies last night. OMG, so good. I liked how most of the time it was just a normal narrative book but then there were bits that were laugh-out-loud funny from time to time. Cyril II was cracking me up! (don't call him that!)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm so glad you liked it! I should read it again.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Station Eleven. Loved it.

Now I'm reading The Mueller Report. :paranoid
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yay, glad you guys loved those books! I loved them both. Specially Furies. I loved the structure of the book, the every 7 years thing. It was really a 6-star book for me, I loved it so much.

Finished Amy Byler. It was cute, but forgettable. Then I read The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain. It was a very short but adorable rom-com. The guy is apparently a TV writer or something, and you can feel it. You can almost see the movie in your head as you read. It's PERFECT for the screen.

Today I'm skimming through Ten Arguments to delete all your social media or whatever it's called. It's only 192 pages long, but I'm still not interested enough to actually read the whole thing.

Not sure what's next. I wanna read Mrs Everything by Jennifer Weiner and Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand, both new releases.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Almost finishing Today Will Be Different by Maria Semple. It started out ok, but went downhill in the second half, but it's short and I'd passed the point of no return. She tries so hard to be funny, but to me she ends up just weird. This is my second book by this author (I also read and hated the beloved Where D'You go, Bernadette?), so I think I'm done with her. Apparently she used to be one of the writers of Mad About You, a show I loved, but I don't think her talent translates to books, sadly.