July: what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

July: what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished The Mueller Report today. A lot of it is redacted, and a lot of it is repeated, and about half is appendices, so it wasn't as long as it appears.

Now I have The Better Sister by Alafair Burke.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: July: what are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Started Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand. Love it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Better Sister was pretty good, and then I read Calm the Fuck Down by Sarah Knight. It was also pretty good. And short.

Now I have How Not to Die Alone, a novel by Richard Roper. It's supposed to be funny.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Summer of '69. Didn't like it in the end. What I loved at the beginning was the setting. The plot was super dull. I wonder if there are ghost writers involved. This woman is releasing TWO new books a year and this felt like a different writer from The Perfect Couple, which was excellent.

Now I'm reading The Flatshare by... Beth something? It's a rom-com.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm halfway through How Not to Die Alone. So far it's pretty good. It reminds me of the Rosie books.

I paused it last week to read Becoming by Michelle Obama. It was great, but I was more enthralled by her early life than the post election stuff.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ha! I felt exactly the opposite, Blush! Loved the post-election stuff.

Finished The Flatshare. It was cute and entertaining, but not as adorable as I was hoping for.

Started The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer by Joel Dïcker. I'm only 8% in, but I think I'll like it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished How Not to Die Alone. It was I felt like the ending was a little rushed, but otherwise good.

Now I am halfway through Only Ever Her by MaryBeth Mayhew Whale. It's about a woman who disappears three days before her wedding.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Only Ever Her. Three stars.

Now I have The Key by Kathryn Hughes.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished the Chinese detective novel I was reading and enjoyed it. It was a very neat way to set up the novel, it was basically like 6 or 7 independent stories, but all starring the same main character, and in reverse chronological order. "The Borrowed" by Chan Ho-Kei

When we were in PEI we saw the Anne of Green Gables musical (so good!) and it made me want to re-read Anne, so I bought a 10-pack of all the Anne books for 99c from the Kindle store (gotta love public domain literature). I'm starting with Anne of Green Gables and will decide once I finish it whether I want to continue with the other books in the series or not.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Key. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I had anticipated.

Now I have We Contain Multitudes by Sarah Tenstra.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished We Contain Multitudes and it's the best book I've read so far this year. It made me FEEL something, which is always my best measure.

Now I have the Stone Mattress by Margaret Atwood. It's nine short stories, which usually aren't my thing, but also it's Atwood, so they've got to be decent.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read An American Marriage because it was due back at the library. The beginning is good (first 100 pages or so), then it turns melodramatic and slow. Glad I didn't pay.

Now I'm back to The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm still reading The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer :lol It has way too many characters and way too many seemingly unrelated story lines, so it's taking forever for things to start making sense, but I'm enjoying it. But it feels more like I'm watching a TV show than reading a book. I'm at 78% now and last night it really felt like things were starting to be explained, but then the next chapter started with a major character talking about his childhood (WTF?? What does it matter now?? I just wanna know who did it!).

I also started Close Enough To Touch by Colleen Oakley, a rom-com. I love it so far, hope it doesn't turn stupid.