March books!

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

March books!

Post by Blush »

I finished The Gown by Jennifer Robson. It was enjoyable.

I have 3 that I am taking away. I think I am starting with The Dune by Jane Green. I used to really like her writing and then I read one I hated but I will give this a try. I can't remember if there's a book exchange at the place we're staying.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: March books!

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the Louise Penny. It was entertaining enough, not great. I might pick up the next in the series at some point.

Then I started Recursion by Blake Crouch. I hope it's as much a page turner as Dark Matter (highly recommended, if you guys haven't read it.)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read Dune Road by Jane Green. It was cheesy. Next I have Sheila Flanagan chick lit book.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Finished The Break by Marian Keyes. I ended up liking it quite a lot although I spent a lot of time gnashing my teeth at her decisions in the intermediate time.

Now I'm reading a book about a women who had 3 friends disappear at summer camp when she was a kid and now she's going back to that camp. I forget the name of the book and the author. So far it seems pretty good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I decided against starting the Sheila OFlanagan because I got library books. I started The Widow Next Door by LA Detwiler.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Recursion several days ago. It was good, but a bit too confusing. I had to go look at those questions people post on goodreads to see if I'd understood it right!

Then I started The Plague by Albert Camus because it seemed fitting. I got to the 20% mark and stopped. It was too dry, I didn't like the style at all.

Then I started The World According to Garp by John Irving. I've enjoyed others by him.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Widow Next Door. It was not good. It was a weird mix of North American and British English, and supposed to be suspenseful but I just didn't care.

I don't know what I will pick next.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Syl - a lot of people love Louise Penny but many say you have to get through the first 4 or so books. That seems like such a long way to go. I have the first one in my book fair books.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished 'The New Me' by Halle Butler. I did not really like it. I felt like it didn't go anywhere. And sometimes, it had chapters from the POV of weird side characters as a one-time thing. Like, why?

Before that, I read "The Last Time I Lied" by Riley Sager. I enjoyed that one more. That's the one I mentioned in my last posting where I couldn't remember the title or author, lol. I'd give it 4 stars. It wasn't amazing but it was definitely a page-turner.

Now I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Pretty sure it's nothing to do with a pandemic (I remember seeing it on pandemic lists when we were looking at that), but it's good. My only complaint is he uses some big words that I have to look up using the dictionary feature on my Kindle. Thank goodness for the dictionary feature! Sometimes you think you have a good vocabulary and then you read a book that makes you realize you don't.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I've heard the same about Louise Penny. That seems like too much work for a genre I'm not even crazy about.
My only complaint is he uses some big words that I have to look up using the dictionary feature on my Kindle. Thank goodness for the dictionary feature!
Welcome to my world! Reading in my second language means that I look up words much more frequently than I'd like to. Just one more reason why I love my kindle.

I forgot to say what I'm reading :lol

I stopped (for now) The World According to Garp. I'm obsessed with pandemics. I started rereading Doomsday Book but even that is slow going. I just can't focus on reading for entertainment, I'm constantly looking for news. I've been reading 5-10 pages a day. I can see why Marie couldn't get into Doomsday, though, the beginning is VERY slow. It takes forever to get to the parts about the plague. I read it 15 years ago and I was a much more patient reader then. I did find it fascinating later on.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm having a hard time focusing on reading!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy last night. It was good, but depressing.

Now I'm going to start Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. I have no idea what it's about or anything.