January 2023!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

January 2023!

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading We Were Never Here by Andrea Bartz. It's good but I'm not necessarily speeding through it.
Blush
TH Master

Re: January 2023!

Post by Blush »

Yesterday I read We Are The Light by Matthew Quick. It was weird but good.

Now I have Drunk on Love by Jasmine Guillory.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read 100 pages of Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and realized it's really not for me.

Then I read Interstellar because I saw the movie on the weekend and some things weren't clear, so decided to read the book, which is a novelization of the movie. I'm glad I read it, but the movie is much better.

Now I started The Passage by Justin Cronin, which has been on my list forever but has a billion pages, so who knows if I'll stick to it or get bored soon. I'm at 4%. That's 47 pages out of the 1181 of the Brazilian edition.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

We Were Never Here was fine and then the ending was bizarro. I hate that. Minus one star for that. LOL

Not sure what is next. I'm doing a virtual book club with Little Women which I've read a million times as a kid but they're reading it super slow which really isn't my jam. The next meeting is 1/17 so I may just binge what I need the weekend before.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Drunk on Love. It was ok; the dialogue was a bit clunky which I don't recall from the other book of hers I read.

Now I have One Night on The Island by Josie Silver. It is cute so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

My bff got me "You Are a Badass" for Christmas which was interesting. There's a few good points in it.

I'm 75% done with The Rewind by Allison Winn Scotch. I generally like her books but not digging this one. I don't like either of the characters so I'm kinda hate reading it at this point.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I didn't like The Rewind. I should have abandoned it - I wasn't reaching to read it so that should have been a clue. I generally like the author.

I have Nora Goes Off Script next which has gotten rave reviews. I'm not in the mood for rom-com but it was due yesterday so I should just bang it out and return it.

I ended up getting a ton of my holds in at once and now I have 20+ library books. I'm going to return 7 or so because I'll never get to all of them in time. I went in and froze the rest of my holds. I think there were just a bunch of books that were released the last 2 Tuesdays.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I love freezing holds.

I finished One Night on The Island. It was ok, but could have used an editor. Little things like a Boston family who takes their kids to the lake (somewhere within driving distance, so probably not a hot place) every *checks notes* October (school year) for 2 weeks? Unlikely.

And not one mention of contraception.

Now I have Dream On by Angie Hockman.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Dream On. It was like a Hallmark movie in book form. No real substance, clunky dialogue. The plot was decent.

Now I have Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush - I really liked Evvie Drake and I don't tend to love that genre. It was well written and I felt the story was "mature".
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I got to 47% of The Passage but I doubt I'll finish it. The firs part was super compelling, but the second is like a whole different book, super boring.

Then I read The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren, which was entertaining enough.

Now I've barely started the sample of The Henna Artist.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rowan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:23 pm Blush - I really liked Evvie Drake and I don't tend to love that genre. It was well written and I felt the story was "mature".
Agreed! 4 stars. I have a few little nitpicks but overall quite good.

Now I have Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I LOVED Malibu Rising and Daisy Jones and the Six, so I have high hopes.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush - glad you liked Evvie Drake. I ended up loving Carrie Soto more than I expected but I grew up in a tennis house so I wonder if that was part of it. Have you read the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo? That's my favorite of her newer novels.

I finished All the Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham which I liked. I'm reading Mary Kubica's latest - The Nicest Couple. So far, so good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I have The Seven Husbands on hold!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I quite enjoyed The Seven Husbands! And I loved Malibu Rising. I really should give Daisy Jones another chance. I started it once but gave it up after 30 pages or so. I should insist, because both Seven Husbands and Malibu were slow starters for me. Carrie Soto is on my radar, but I HATE tennis :? I couldn't get into any of her earlier novels (the non-fake celebrity ones.)

I'm at 43% of The Henna Artist. I like it but don't love it so far. I didn't read much at the beach, which didn't help. I need more uninterrupted reading time to help with the flow.
gumby
Saddle Basket

Post by gumby »

I actually opened my book Fatty Fatty Boom Boom it’s Rabia Chaudry memoir about food and family. She’s Punjabi/Pakistani and it’s very interesting and engaging. Granted I know who she is (if you listened to season 1 of Serial she’s the one that got Adnans case to the public). He’s free now anx they actually have two real suspects. She’s also co hosted another podcast that first talked about that and then many other cases and they’ve helped get multiple wrongfully convicted out of prison,

The book is about relationship with food
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Henna Artist and enjoyed the second half better than the first. I really needed more time with the book. Now I'm picking up its sequel, The Secret Keeper of Jaipur. The third book in the trilogy, The Perfumist of Paris, comes out in March.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Carrie Soto is Back. I'd say 4.5 stars.

Now I have Ms. Demeanor by Elinor Lipman.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Sylvia - if you hate tennis, maybe take Carrie Soto off your list. It is all about tennis.

I'm halfway through The It Girl by Ruth Ware and liking it. I also would like more uninterrupted reading time. :cute
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Are there like pages and pages about tennis? :?