May!

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

May!

Post by Blush »

I am still reading The Wise Women by Gina Sorell, it's ok.

I took Things We Never Got Over by Lucy Score in the car and finished it. It was a quick read for how many pages it was, but it should have been about 200 pages shorter. Some weird plot devices, bad stereotypes, and some downright cringey wording in the sex scenes.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: May!

Post by Rowan »

I started This Bird Has Flown by Susanna Hoffs (lead singer of the Bangles) - it's a fiction book. It's weird because it's written well but I'm having trouble sinking into it. I may abandon it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen last night. It's a weird book, I wouldn't 100% recommend it due to its oddness and length, yet somehow I found it compelling and I feel like it will stick with me.

Then I started Lessons in Chemistry. So far, so good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on Rendezvous with Rama almost right away. It wasn't holding my interest.

Then I started All the Broken Places by John Boyne, the sequel to The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I'm only on page 75, but I like it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I don't really recommend The Wise Women.

Now I have Girl, Forgotten by Karin Slaughter
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished All the Broken Places. Loved it. Highly recommend.

Now I'm reading Just a Regular Boy by Catherin Ryan Hyde. I'm on page 102 and so far I'm finding it very gripping. I hope it doesn't get impossibly mushy later on. This woman's the author of Pay it Forward, which became a movie with that boy from The Sixth Sense about 20 years ago? The movie was super mushy. There's a very fine line for me between mushiness I enjoy and the kind that makes me wanna throw up from the excess sugar.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Girl, Forgotten was fine but now I can't really remember what it was about. Ha!

Then I read How to Be Perfect by Michael Schurr (creator of The Good Place). Pretty good, brought back memories of university philosophy classes.

Now I have Every Summer After by Carley Fortune. Debut novel, set in cottage country, Ontario, which is cool.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, that book is on kindle unlimited in Portuguese, Blush, and I heard someone raving about it, so I might pick it up. Also, unless it's something REALLY good, I never remember any plots :crystal

I finished Just a Regular Boy. It was as mushy as expected, but still a good story, if a bit unrealistic. The kid's thought processes seem like those of an adult, which always bugs me. But it was entertaining enough.

Now I'm reading Lovely Girls by Margot Hunt, which is a thriller about some very mean girls. Totally forgettable, but so much fun while you're reading. Also on kindle unlimited. There are millions of books like that on KU. I'm also reading an ELT (English Language Teaching) book from there, but it's very short.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I forgot to tell you guys I finished Lessons in Chemistry a week or so ago. It was really good! I liked it a lot.

Now I'm reading "The Delusions of Crowds" which is a non-fiction about how crowds can get things right but also how they can be led astray. He starts off by talking about those contests where you guess how many jelly beans are in the jar. If you average all the guesses, it'll be very close to the real answer. But if you put a jar of jelly beans in a crowd of people and let them discuss how many beans are in it, the average guess after they all guess will be way off.

He's going on and on right now about religion, starting from like the time of Jesus. He's made it up to the 1500s now. I'm hoping this part will end soon because it's a bit dry. Though I have learned some interesting things, like apparently 40% of Americans think that we're living in the end times, and 10% think Jesus will rise again in their lifetimes.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Glad you liked Lessons in Chemistry, Spudd!

I finished Every Summer After. It was quite good; 4 stars.

Now I have Wrong Place, Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister. I'm about 2/3 through.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yes, glad you liked Lessons in Chemistry, Spudd. And glad you liked Every Summer After, Blush.

I finished Lovely Girls. It was entertaining enough, not memorable. 3 stars.

Now I'm about 55% through another thriller that's just ok so far: The Maid's Diary by Loreth Ann White? I think that's her name. One of its main themes is something that's been done to death lately and I'm sick of it, so unless there's a really fabulously clever twist, it'll probably end up at 3 stars as well.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Wrong Place Wrong Time; 4 stars, good premise and execution.

Now I have The Do-Over by Bethany Turner.