June!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

June!

Post by Rowan »

How the heck is it June?

I've read a few good ones so far this month - both were 4 stars for me (although if you want to get technical Drowning was probably 3.75 stars).

The Half Moon by Mary Beth Keane
Drowning by TJ Newman

I started Yellowface by RF Kuang which is amazing so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: June!

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Maid's Diary. It was ok. 3 stars.

Then I read Book Lovers, which I hated. Maybe I should accept that romance is not for me. At least not without another element to add spice (a period in history or time travel, for example). I found it boring, draggy, whiny, predictable.

Not sure what's next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Do-Over. It was ok. Dialogue and general plot ok, if predictable, could have used a bit more excitement or drama or something.

Now I have a book set in Ireland called Himself, by Jess Kidd. It's good already and I am only on page 44. There's some depth here, yay!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Himself was great, odd, but great.

Then I read The Love Hypothesis, which was quick, and cute.

Now I have The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read The Retreat by Mark Edwards. His plot resolutions are ridiculously far-fetched, but they work for me. It was my third and I'll probably read more by him.

Not sure what's next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Proposal was just meh. The writing was awkward and plot points were explained, then explained again through characters' conversations. Not great.

Today I picked up Happy Place by Emily Henry and the librarians both said it was better than Book Lovers, so I have high hopes and started it right away. I'm almost halfway through and so far it's good!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

This is the last week or so:

5 The Last Animal Ramona Ausubel
3.5 The Spectacular Fiona Davis
3.5 The Only One Left Riley Sager
3 Everyone in This Room Will Someday Be Dead Emily Austin

I loved The Last Animal. There is one weird part but I loved the rest that I was able to pointedly ignore it. LOL

I'm reading the unabridged version of The Stand. Virtual book club for first half at the end of the month.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Happy Place last weekend and it was great.

Then I read Just Like You by Nick Hornby. Also great! Not sure how I missed this when it first came out.

Now I have Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover. I've never read anything by her before.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Blush wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:21 am Now I have Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover. I've never read anything by her before.
My niece requested 2 Colleen Hoover books for Kenneth to bring with him on his visit! She's 14 and reading novels in English, pretty impressive.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

That is pretty impressive, Spudd!

Where was I?

I tried to read Hello, Beautiful, but gave up after 80 pages or so. Not my thing.

Then I read Gravity, a sci-fi thriller by Tess Gerritsen, and then The Locked Door, another thriller by Freida McFadden. I liked them both. Freida McFadden is my new guilty pleasure. Such fun trashy reading!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd, that's cool!

I finished Reminders of Him. 3.5 stars.

Now I have Someone Else's Shoes by Jojo Moyes.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I started Blackout by Connie Willis last night. It's the third in the Oxford Time Travel series. Spudd, I thought you'd read this, but it doesn't show on goodreads. Have you? I absolutely LOVED Doomsday Book (book 1), but couldn't get into To Say Nothing of the Dog (book 2), so I'm curious. I like Blackout so far, but I'm only on page 66 and the book has more than 600. Plus it has no ending, you have to read the next one to know how the story ends, so we'll see. You know I'm short on patience in my old age. But so far it seems right up my alley.

ETA: Never mind, I searched the board and found your posts, Spudd. Glad you liked them!