September

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

September

Post by Blush »

I am falling behind in my reading challenge.

Just finished The Light Pirate last night; really good.

Now I have Meet Me At The Lake by Carley Fortune.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: September

Post by Sílvia »

I also set a goodreads challenge for myself, but it's more so that goodreads can count how many books I've read in a certain year. Otherwise I don't think it does. I set mine at a reasonable number, and it's never really a challenge, it's just my average. That said, I'd probably be annoyed if I didn't reach it. Also, I'm glad you liked The Light Pirate! I absolutely loved it!

For some obscure reason, last week I decided I should give The Count of Monte Cristo another go. I'm on page 142, which is not even 10%, and I'm already bored. The first time I got to page 400 before I got bored. I'm very close to quitting. AND I decided to read other books while reading The Count, and the first book I picked is not going well either. It's Homeland by Spanish writer Fernando Aramburu, which had been on my list forever. It's going even worse than the count. Sigh.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Kenneth has tried to read the Count at least twice since I've known him. He gets halfway through and then he can't take it anymore.

I'm reading the Menopause Manifesto. It is making me want to do hormone replacement therapy.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Haha! I think you told me that the previous time, Spudd! The thing is, it IS a great story, but I'd happily read an abridged version if someone recommended a good one. I loved the mini series with Gérard Depardieu back in the 90s.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I remember loving the Count in high school - I recently picked up a copy to do a re-read...know you make me hesitant. LOL

I'm reading The Many Lives of Mama Love - biography of a soccer mom addict. It's good -- different than I usually read.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Meet Me At The Lake; 4 stars.

Now I have Bad Summer People by Emma Rosenblum.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, if you liked it the first time I'm sure you'll be fine. I haven't touched it since I last posted here.

I finished Homeland. It was ok, but I didn't love it. Interesting to know more about the Basque Country and ETA, but I found the non-linear plot a bit exhausting. It goes round and round in circles for way too long.

Now I'm reading The City and the Stars, a classic sci-fi by Arthur C. Clarke.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I didn't finish the Menopause Manifesto yet but I forgot to bring my Kindle with me to the States for our weekend trip, so I grabbed a book out of one of those Little Free Libraries. It's "The Marriage Plot" by Jeffrey Eugenides. So far it's really good, but I'm only a little ways in.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd - you could always download the kindle app onto your phone. It will sync between devices.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Bad Summer People, pretty good. Now I have Yours Truly by Abby Jiminez. I have to get it back to the library before we go.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

The City and the Stars was ok. Very cool world building if you consider when it was written (1956 or so), but the plot was underwhelming.

Now I'm 55% into Spoiler Alert: the hero dies and I'm completely absorbed.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rowan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:13 am Spudd - you could always download the kindle app onto your phone. It will sync between devices.
I don't like to charge my kindle so I don't leave the wifi turned on, so it wouldn't have worked while we were away. I have considered turning it on for the syncing but I feel like I would use it so rarely that it's not worth it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I reached out to a friend to do a Stephen King buddy read for spooky season. LOL. She loved the idea - we planned for 2. The Dark Half for Sept and Revival for Oct. I just finished Dark Half last night and it was good - she has been having nightmares about it. We meet virtually (she's in NC) on Thursday night. Fun!

Not sure what is next -- I'll leave Revival for mid October.

Work and work travel has been taking me away from my preciousssss books. :(
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Abby Jimenez one was good.

Then I read a debut novel by Jane Pek called The Verifiers. Good characters, good concept.

I brought three books I don't mind leaving behind.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I started Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll. It's good - it's a Ted Bundy fiction book that focuses on the victims. I don't think she ever mentions him by name.