October

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

October

Post by Blush »

How is it October?

I read One of The Girls by Lucy Clarke, 4 stars.

Also Till We Meet Again by Lesley Pearse. Will leave both here. I also brought one called The Wives and when I went to put it in GoodReads I had already read it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: October

Post by Rowan »

I'm with you...can't believe it's October. :shock:

I finished Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll which is a fiction telling of the victims of Ted Bundy. It was very well done. They never refer to him by name, just The Defendant.

I started Whalefall by Daniel Kraus which is about a teen diver who gets swallowed by a sperm whale. It's...interesting. LOL

I think I've settled into a new normal with reading and the new job. One book completed during the week and one book completed on the weekend. Reasonable.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Spoiler Alert, which was pretty good but also pretty devastating.

Then I read a rom com that actually worked for me, See You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon. Then I started several books that didn't grab me (I should get credit for pages read or something) and ended up picking up another one by the same author, called...Today Tonight Tomorrow. It has a Never Have I Ever vibe to it, I like it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished Whalefall - it was different and worth reading. I've had Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo on my shelf for a while and figured fall is a good time to read. Some of it takes place at Yale so that will be interesting.

I've started doing monthly (?) buddy reads with a former colleague/friend which is fun. Sept was Dark Half by Stephen King, this month is Revival by SK and I think November will be Sanatorium. My TBR list is nearly 1000 books long so it helps to chip away at the backlist with a friend. She likes to buy her books from Thriftbooks so backlist is a bit better for her.

If anyone is interested in Thriftbooks - let me know and I can send you my referral link. ;)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm reading An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. Not sure how I missed this when it came out.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I loved Today Tonight Tomorrow. Now I'm reading yet another rom-com :headscratch and also enjoying it, Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter. So apparently I do still enjoy rom-coms. I'd just been picking up the wrong ones (for me.)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Hank Green book; it was good and felt oddly predictive of how people would act in a world event.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Marriage Plot" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Overall, it was a bit meandering but I liked the beginning and the ending. I would give it 3.5 stars.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read A Likely Story by Leigh McMullan Abramson. Family drama, pretty good.

Now I have Secretly Yours by Tessa Bailey. Cheesy trope but I like the characters so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

There was a non-fiction book on investing that I had in between the last book I mentioned on here and this one, but it was not good so I won't bother to mention it.

I just started "The Immortalists" by Chloe Benjamin. So far it's pretty good, but I've only just read the first 2 chapters and the prelude.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Better than the Movies, which was adorable. Then I read The Pact by Sharon Bolton, which was pretty good until 30 pages from the end, which was not only far-fetched, it was also not very explained at all. It made zero sense. Then I read The Dead Romantics, which didn't work for me at all. Then I started No Exit by Taylor Adams because everyone and their mother says it's impossible to put down from beginning to end, but so far I'm not impressed. It's readable, but certainly not unputdownable so far. But I'm only about 15% in.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished No Exit. It was passable. I gave it 2.5 stars. I might read Stephen King's Billy Summers next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Secretly Yours. You know what really bothered me? (Spoiler). The main character fell in love with some dude on one night when she was 15, didn't even kiss him, and then STAYED A VIRGIN until she just happened to meet up with him again at age 29?! WTF. There was no plausible reason given for that.

Now I am reading The Guncle by Steven Rowley.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Guncle was great. Steven Rowley is a good writer.

Now I am halfway through I'm Glad My Mom Is Dead and whoo boy, it's a doozy.