May

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

May

Post by Rowan »

Hello!

What are you reading these days?

I recently finished the newest Emily Henry titled Funny Story which I really liked. I'm currently reading A Better World by Sarah Langan about a family that are "lucky" to move to a company city where life is better - better food, better air, safer but things aren't really what they seem. So far so good.
Blush
TH Master

Re: May

Post by Blush »

I also liked Funny Story!

I finished The Weekend Retreat by Tara Laskowski. It was fine.

Now I have Recursion by Blake Crouch.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver. Honestly, kind of hated it. It struck me as a Republican rant thinly disguised as a story.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh wow, I can't believe you went from 5 stars to hating it, Spudd!

I finished Strange Sally Diamond. It was entertaining enough and I gave it 3.5 stars. But the main drama here is something that has been done SO. MANY. TIMES. It's hard to be original, though she managed to throw in a few things I hadn't read before. And the main character is neurodivergent, which also has been done way too often. Still, overall a solidly entertaining book, if a bit too disturbing. I'm just old and bored with fiction, as I'm sure I've mentioned 257 times already.

I'm still reading (more like skimming) Hamnet. It's very boring, but I'm still curious about it. If that makes sense. I hope to finish it today or tomorrow.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Hamnet. It's the kind of writing some people call lyrical. I call it flowery. Read if you're in the lyrical team. I mean, I'm not a heartless robot. I can enjoy lyrical/flowery. If it has, you know, a plot. 2 stars.

Then I read a sci-fi thriller called Cold Storage, by David Koepp. It was fast-paced and fun, if you're into that kind of thing. I think Spudd is probably the only one around here who would enjoy it. 3 stars. 4 for the fun, but it's very cheesy.

Not sure what's next. I'm in the mood for something light, maybe a rom-com.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I am now reading The Three-Body Problem. I'm having a hard time with all the Chinese names, keeping the characters straight. It's starting to get interesting, though. I'm about 10% into it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Someone told me to watch The Three Body Problem which I think is on Netflix? You'll have to let us know how you like it Spudd.

I just finished Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda. 3.5 stars. It was 4 stars yesterday but I slept on it and dropped it 0.5 stars. Some of the twists were like...DUDE, really? I think I probably need a break from thriller world as it's all the same, rinse and repeat these days. I do love the authors I'm reading and their new stuff is going on hold for me but maybe I need more of a break than what I did the last few weeks.

I have Real Americans by Rachel Khong. I have no idea what it's about but I really loved her debut Goodbye Vitamin so I'm looking forward to this. This is not thriller but more lit fic whatever that means these days.