Book Club Question

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Book Club Question

Post by Malanee »

It seems like participation has dwindled. Is anyone reading The Painted Drum or No Logo? Why or why not?

I'm thinking that mabye I'll start choosing books from the list we compiled and then having you vote on them. If a book doesn't get enough votes, we'll move on to the next randomly selected book.

Does that sound good? Or do you have other ideas about getting the book club going again?
Happiness is an inside job.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I like that idea! I'm not reading the current books because I'm trying to finish up some personal reading . . . but I'm definitely going to read The Color Purple with the group!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm not, because I got confused by the whole "3 books at once" thing and totally dropped out for some reason. But I want to rejoin. I think voting is a good idea - if only one person is interested in reading a certain book, then participation will probably be low! Or, rather than voting, have veto-ing.

We should get a list of everyone who is interested in book club. Then if say 25% of members veto a given book, we would skip that book.

I don't know if these suggestions make sense but they are just what I thought of.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Spudd wrote:I'm not, because I got confused by the whole "3 books at once" thing and totally dropped out for some reason. But I want to rejoin. I think voting is a good idea - if only one person is interested in reading a certain book, then participation will probably be low! Or, rather than voting, have veto-ing.

We should get a list of everyone who is interested in book club. Then if say 25% of members veto a given book, we would skip that book.

I don't know if these suggestions make sense but they are just what I thought of.
We don't do 3 books at a time anymore Spudd. Just one per month! I randomly choose the next 3 books we are going to read so that those who order books online through amazon can get free shipping.

I think I'll do a poll with the list of books I've been giving and see how many people want to read each book and only chose those that are the most popular. Does that sound good?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Sounds good!
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

I've dropped out because I've been really busy and haven't been reading anything. Plus, it seems like very few people want to discuss.

I think a vote is a great idea.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Marie wrote:I've dropped out because I've been really busy and haven't been reading anything. Plus, it seems like very few people want to discuss.
I think this is another problem - I was fairly disappointed with the response to the Kite Runner - especially given what a powerful book it was! I posted some questions and nobody responded :waiting
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Lady Bug wrote:
Marie wrote:I've dropped out because I've been really busy and haven't been reading anything. Plus, it seems like very few people want to discuss.
I think this is another problem - I was fairly disappointed with the response to the Kite Runner - especially given what a powerful book it was! I posted some questions and nobody responded :waiting
But LB, didn't you finish it long after everyone else had? I remember we had quite a lively discussion on that book. That was before we switched over to this board.