Animal Farm

Moderator: Malanee

Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Animal Farm

Post by Malanee »

I loved this book! I can't believe I waited this long to read it!

Thoughts:

I think al qaeda is our "Mr. Jones." We make policies and decisions out of fear of al qaeda or terrorists. Debates are stopped cold with those words.

I love the part where they say "All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others." Helloooo America! *lol*

Also loved when the animals were looking in and couldn't tell the pigs from the humans. What great imagery!

So I spent some time thinking about what animal I would be. I think I would probably be Clover - the one who always suspects the pigs are up to no good, but never really does anything about it.

Anybody else have any thoughs? Jax?
Happiness is an inside job.
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I think your analogy to Al Quaeda is excellent!

I love that quote. It's my favorite quote from the book. And we see it in practice *all the time*.

I have this horrible fear that deep down I would be one of the pigs. But then I can also see myself in the role of Clover....so maybe I am only slightly evil.

But then again...if it wasn't the pigs....wouldn't some other animal group rise to the top?

I'm glad you liked it. I had a feeling you would. It's a quick, easy read with lots to think about.
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

Jax wrote:I think your analogy to Al Quaeda is excellent!

I love that quote. It's my favorite quote from the book. And we see it in practice *all the time*.

I have this horrible fear that deep down I would be one of the pigs. But then I can also see myself in the role of Clover....so maybe I am only slightly evil.

But then again...if it wasn't the pigs....wouldn't some other animal group rise to the top?

I'm glad you liked it. I had a feeling you would. It's a quick, easy read with lots to think about.
Honestly, I'd probably be a pig too. I mean, who wants to sleep in the barn and stay sober? But I'd be the good pig - the one they ran off. At least, that's what I tell myself.

Who would rule if the pigs in our country didn't? It is an interesting question. Hmm....
Happiness is an inside job.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I just took this out from the library :jax :ruth
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

Anyone willing to loan this to me? I've always wanted to read it but never have.

Thanks!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I will be happy to loan it to you if I can locate my copy. I think I might know where it is. Aidan likes to take paperbacks and look at them (he just likes looking at words...picture-less books) and I think he may have hidden it, but I may know where.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I'm reading it now. I would be the cat or the donkey. :twisted:

I find it interesting that the animals want to overthrow humans, and pledge to have nothing to do with humans, but they use human methods to do it. (i.e. reading, writing, science, tools) No one is completely autonomous.

Whoa. Heavy.

It's interesting that you say Al Qaeda, Ruth; I think George Orwell would have said Nazis. ;)
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Crystal Meth wrote:
I find it interesting that the animals want to overthrow humans, and pledge to have nothing to do with humans, but they use human methods to do it. (i.e. reading, writing, science, tools) No one is completely autonomous.
If they want to overthrow what is at the top of the food chain, how else would they do it without using "top of the food chain" methods? I mean, if they were innovative and smart enough to create their own methods that were better, wouldn't they have been at the top of the food chain to begin with?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I know. I posted that when I was only about on page 20. But it was still well-written how they were adamant about not adopting human behaviour, but let's go ahead and paint alphanumeric (i.e. human) symbols on the barn.

Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I wasn't criticizing. I was curious as to what your ideas were...what they should do? I wanted you to delve into your imagination since, due to your occupation and your bliss, you clearly have a good one.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

My bliss? Who you talking about? :eh How Voltairian of you. :lol

Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

I actually was going all Joseph Campbell "find your bliss" on your ass. :lol
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Yeah um... I totally said Campbell, not Voltaire. (Is it too late to edit? :blush )

Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

You can edit. But I know the truth.

no one would believe me anyway. :lol