Poll: Things People Should Stop Saying

Where teh funnay is kept!
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

holy boring blogs batman. I think I'll go lay down now sweeties. y'know my monkeys?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

kayley wrote:holy boring blogs batman. I think I'll go lay down now sweeties. y'know my monkeys?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
:rofl
Marie
TH Master

Post by Marie »

kayley wrote:holy boring blogs batman. I think I'll go lay down now sweeties. y'know my monkeys?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
:lmao

That was pretty good!
Jax
Saddle Basket

Post by Jax »

Sunflower wrote:
Jax wrote:Let me tell you something else that annoys me-- people who keep public blogs and are boring as sin. I mean, I know I would be boring, so I don't keep a public one. I am not aiming this remark at anyone here, so don't misunderstand. But gads.
Are you saying my blog is boring? :huffy
Nope. I don't read your blog. I don't really read many blogs at all. I am not a bloggy person. :lol

But now that you mention it...where's your blog? :jax
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." - Nietzsche
aly
Inventor of the Post-It! ...note.

Post by aly »

Marie wrote:Yeah but what if it annoys everyone??? Now I'm all paranoid.
Don't worry sweetie, EVERYONE uses it. :hug
LauraLowEnd
3 Foot Scab

Post by LauraLowEnd »

"you times it by three and then minus it by 5."
WHAT?!? no; you MULTIPLY it by three and then SUBTRACT 5.

the receptionist at work has a ton of annoying speech things. my favorite of hers is "when he come in the door this morning..." IT HAPPENED IN THE PAST, MORON! he CAME in, not COME in. i've never even heard of anyone refusing to use the past tense. it's so WEIRD!

"as per." that phrase is redundant. it's either "as you requested" or "per your request."

another work one - people don't understand the singular and plural versions of "addendum" and "appendix." for the record, "addendum" = singular. "addenda" = plural. "appendix" = singular. "appendices" = plural. i've heard "addendums," "appendixes" and "appendicee" a lot, and "appendicee" is the most common!!! DUH!

"alright" and "alot."

i have more, i'm sure...
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

"when he come in the door this morning..." IT HAPPENED IN THE PAST, MORON! he CAME in, not COME in. i've never even heard of anyone refusing to use the past tense. it's so WEIRD!

A friend's dad does this. It drives me bonkers. My ex-boyfriend's grandma used to say this too. I thought it was a rural thing. The other thing she used to say that made my skin crawl was. "Oh, you don't know how to play euchre? We'll learn ya." AAARGH! You'll TEACH me! Or maybe you won't, because I'm going to sit in the car!
LauraLowEnd
3 Foot Scab

Post by LauraLowEnd »

OMG, just thought of another. if one has poison ivy, and applies his/herfingernails to the area of discomfort in a rapid motion in order to alleviate the unpleasantness, this action is called "scratching." it is NOT CALLED "ITCHING." i hate it when people are like "oh, you have a mosquito bite? don't itch it!" yeah, i don't have any control over whether it itches or not! but i CAN choose not to SCRATCH it!
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

LauraLowEnd wrote:OMG, just thought of another. if one has poison ivy, and applies his/herfingernails to the area of discomfort in a rapid motion in order to alleviate the unpleasantness, this action is called "scratching." it is NOT CALLED "ITCHING." i hate it when people are like "oh, you have a mosquito bite? don't itch it!" yeah, i don't have any control over whether it itches or not! but i CAN choose not to SCRATCH it!
:ditto
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

ROFL! The "itch" vs. "scratch" thing is cracking me up. It's the same word for both in Portuguese.

LJ, I'm sorry to inform you "alright" is a word. It's in my Cambridge dictionary. "Alot", however, is just bad English.

And this:
"you times it by three and then minus it by 5."
WHAT?!? no; you MULTIPLY it by three and then SUBTRACT 5.
sounds like some of my students. But they have the excuse that they're not native English speakers.
Last edited by Sílvia on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

Damn, the first time I've said the "batman" thing in years and I get blasted!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, I was supposed to have a meeting with someone named Silvia today, but she called me half an hour late for a 45 minute meeting, so I bailed. She is the bane of my existence. But don't worry, I won't take it out on you.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Blush wrote:A friend's dad does this. It drives me bonkers. My ex-boyfriend's grandma used to say this too. I thought it was a rural thing. The other thing she used to say that made my skin crawl was. "Oh, you don't know how to play euchre? We'll learn ya." AAARGH! You'll TEACH me! Or maybe you won't, because I'm going to sit in the car!
I have a theory about this and the itch/scratch thing, too ... see, in Swedish "learn" and "teach" are the same word and so are "itch" and "scratch." I'm thinking that maybe some of the original confusion came from immigrants whose native languages didn't differentiate between them. Of course, that doesn't make it any less irritating, but it could be an explanation.

And about "lay" and "lie" ... I know the difference and can use them correctly, but I often say the wrong one in casual speech. I will tell my dogs, for example, to "go lay down," but I wouldn't say it in a speech or write it anywhere. My spoken grammar is terrifically lazy, though.
aly

Post by aly »

Spudd is that a threadjack?

:lol

Just wondering in case I missed where it has something to do with this topic. :giggle
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

Oh, and one thing that seriously annoys me is when people say "anyways" ... it's anyway, folks. :lol
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I love you!
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

bling
don't go there
you go, girl (with a finger snap)
getting jiggy with it
Fa shizzle (or anything in the izzle family)
aly

Post by aly »

Beana wrote:bling
don't go there
you go, girl (with a finger snap)
getting jiggy with it
Fa shizzle (or anything in the izzle family)
:rofl

Does anyone remember "3 Snaps in a Z Formation!"?
Beana
Turducken

Post by Beana »

Oh yes!

I had a friend in HS and every Monday we'd see eachother and do whatever the new snap was they did on "In Living Color". LOL
kayley
TH Master

Post by kayley »

Beana wrote: I love you!
mutual, babe. check out my match.com profile (wink).

I could go on and of the bastardization of English I hear on a daily basis. I feel a mosaic minds article coming on.