Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

What are you reading? (September 2006)

Post by Lady Bug »

:hyper
annster
Me Not Post Much

Post by annster »

An oldie....Prince of Tides. I am really into it.

I'm almost done, but next I'm thinking about:

The Time Traveller's Wife
Middle Age
or The Kite Runner.

I've heard good things about all of them.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Annster, I've read the first and the third on your list, and I loved them both.

I'm reading A Fine Balance. I'm on page 238 and I'm totally hooked, but I'm ready for good things to start to happen.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

I am reading 12 Bad Habits That Hold Good People Back - it's basically a self-help book for underachieving, self-saboteurs like me :P I've only just started it but I'm getting a lot out of it!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Annster, I absolutely loved both "The Time Traveller's Wife" and "The Kite Runner". Both fabulous.

I'm still reading the same books I was last time I posted, so I won't repeat myself.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

Going through "Lord of the Rings" series for about the 5th time. Started The Two Towers this morning.

Also reading Too Perfect about the obsessive personality, and will be looking for newer books at the library. It is a self-help type book... trying to deal with my obsessive personality without therapy this time.
Lady Bug
Now Zey Can Do Anal

Post by Lady Bug »

Stacy wrote:Going through "Lord of the Rings" series for about the 5th time. Started The Two Towers this morning.
Whoa - you've read the entire LOTR series . . . more than once? :omfg

Also reading Too Perfect about the obsessive personality, and will be looking for newer books at the library. It is a self-help type book... trying to deal with my obsessive personality without therapy this time.
I'm obsessive, too :high5 No really, I have a diagnosis and everything . . . let me know if that book turns out to be helpful to you . . . .
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Sílvia wrote: I'm reading A Fine Balance. I'm ready for good things to start to happen.
You'll be waiting a long time... actually, you'd be better off just reading another book. :giggle

I'm reading a chicklit book called "Little White Lies". It's mindless...
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

:cookie
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Seriously, Crystal? NOTHING good will ever happen?
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

Enh, I think some mildly good things happen, but he makes sure to wrench your heart out immediately before and afterwards...

Clearly, I should never work in advertising, LOL. It is still very beautifully written, and you feel like you've read something really important to the human experience when you're done.
You got into this business because you're funny and weird, and you're socially retarded. And because it pays well. - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock.

Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Crystal, I didn't want to tell her because I didn't want to spoil it for her. :lol But yeah, I was the same way. Kept waiting for something good to happen. No dice.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, I am enjoying it anyway. But the writing sort of gets lost because it's translated into Portuguese, and it's like watching a dubbed movie. Soooo artificial!! I keep saying to myself " we don't talk like that!". Some things just don't translate well. I got it for free from my friend who was moving to England, I'd never have bought it in Portuguese.

I don't have a problem with sad books, but I do need some hope at some point, like in The Kite Runner or in The House of the Spirits.
Crystal Meth
Cheeseless Whore

Post by Crystal Meth »

I was going to say, don't you usually read books in English? :headscratch (If they were English-written, that is)

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, these days I don't read English-written books translated into Portuguese anymore. I used to be afraid to read in English, but I started like 5 years ago or so and realized I know much more English than I thought!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart (about a female friendship gone sour--though you don't realize why until near the end of the book). I liked it.

Now I'm reading a british chicklit book (although it was written in 1996; did chicklit exist as a genre then?) by Erica James called A breath of Fresh Air.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished The Mirror Maze (took forever, because the chapters are super short and I read a chapter before bed every day).

I just started "In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. I loved his other book "A Walk in the Woods" so I'm hoping this one will be good too. It's about Australia.
Stacy
Assless Chaps

Post by Stacy »

Lady Bug wrote:
Stacy wrote:Going through "Lord of the Rings" series for about the 5th time. Started The Two Towers this morning.
Whoa - you've read the entire LOTR series . . . more than once? :omfg
Yeah, I love them! Read it for the first time in middle school when my dad handed it to me and told me that I should read it. Didn't get much out of it then... :)
I'm obsessive, too :high5 No really, I have a diagnosis and everything . . . let me know if that book turns out to be helpful to you . . . .[/quote]
It is an ok book. I am hoping to get a newer one from the library when I finish this. We'll see. I will let you know.
Malanee
Challenging Vagina

Post by Malanee »

I have so many books on the list right now:

Read this month:

Everything's Eventual (short stories)
The Eyes of the Dragon
1st to die
The Lake House

Reading:

Empire Falls - about 3/4 done and I love it.
Mind Wide Open - just started

To be read:

The Polished Hoe
The Letters of Vincent Van Gogh
The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu
Runaway (short stories)
The Crimson Petal and the White
The Ladies Auxiliary
The Seven Sisters
Happiness is an inside job.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished "Swapping Lives" by Jane Green. It was cute, but not as good as some of her others. It's very current in terms of pop culture references though.

I just started "Happiness sold seperately" by Lolly Winston. I really enjoyed her first novel "Good Grief" so I have high hopes for this one.